Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which basses lose most value from new?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dBerriff, Oct 9, 2005.

1. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    I have a Fender Deluxe Precision that I bought in England from a dealer for just over £1000 (and that was with a small discount). I have seen a 2 year old example in good condition go on eBay for £460 which is about the same as a passive American Precision. Luckily I don't need to sell but it got me thinking.

That is one heck of a drop in value, although it is perhaps an extreme example. I know it is far less risky to try before you buy, especially with the variable quality of some makes, but over 50% loss in value needs some swallowing. At that level it is worth taking a few chances on eBay, then keeping the best and selling the rest.

So which makes hold their value? Musicman looks good. G&L not so good. Fender - it seems to depend on the model. Boutique or custom basses made seem to take a fair drop.

Any comments?

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    In the USA, the average new price of an American Deluxe Precision is around USD 1300, which is way less than the
    USD 2200 or so that you paid for yours. This could have something to do with the used prices you are seeing.

3. I would say that boutique basses that were built to a heavily customised spec by the buyer making them in effect one offs. These will take a big drop on resale.

just my 2c.

Regards

Matthew

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Alembic

New, a series 1 is about 10 grand
    Used, about 3-4

5. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    I accept there is a big mark up in the UK (or rip-off Britain as it is often called), but I think this is a different issue. It costs around $200 carriage plus 25% taxes to import a bass but it is still often worth it.

I was thinking more of percentage loss against the new price. The drop in resale value does not seem related to quality. Musicman (deservedly) seem to hold their value but G&L (just as good quality) do not. Fender Deluxe American basses do not seem to hold value, although also excellent basses. Just my observation really, after watching eBay for a while. At the end of the day it is just market forces.

6. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    'fro speaks the truth. However, drop in resale has nothing to do with quality. Just the market.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Worst resale probably Carvin. Peavey is underappreciated as well.

One sure-fire way to guarantee great resale in a bass is to look for the word "Fender" on the headstock.

8. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I would have to say G&L basses don't keep a great resale value.

9. warwicks seem to drop by half.
    Though the vetts seem to be the best from the bunch in resale vs new

10. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    easy solution is save yourself the money and only buy second hand. (and only buy a respected name brand like Fender, MM, Gibson etc.. then at least you will be able to sell it if needs be..) my .02c

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Anyone seriously concerned about resale value "after" you buy a bass should be as concerned "before" you buy. Dollar wise boutiques do drop the most. Seeing a $6k bass drop more than $2k in resale value isn't all that rare. Percentage wise it varies.

Buying used lessens the depreciation hit you open yourself up for IME.

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Brad how would you know anything about selling basses? ;) :p ;)

13. I agree with Whafro

Alembics lose mucho value

14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Its just tougher to sell a high end bass on the used market. Lots of guys dont want to shell out the cash. Makes resale suffer, IMO. Alot easier to sell a bass that was $1200 new for $800 than it would be to sell a $4000 bass new for $3000 used. Sorta like homes and hi line autos.

Rob

15. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005

For the most part, yes. If there is a high demand and long waiting list for a new one though, people will sometimes pay silly money a used bass (more than what they could buy one for new).

A custom bass from a no-name maker will lose the most value right off. Although these can usually be had for a relatively lower price in the first place.

16. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Carvin. They are VERY nice basses for the money. Used ones are a steal. I was able to get $1,100 for a fretless 6 that cost me $1,400 + about $400 to replace the electronics. I was pretty fortunate.

17. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    conklin bass prices seem to fall through the floor around here
    d

18. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Lakland USA, although I think its due to the high quality of the Skylines.

19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Among factory basses, I think G&L takes the biggest drop. I think another reason why it is harder to sell a used boutique bass as an individual is that buying a new or used bass from a dealer, one can either use a credit card or finance the purchase. Americans generally have a pretty low savings rate, so most of us don't have $2-4k around for used boutique basses.

20. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    MTD American basses seem to have a lower-than-expected resale price, but I could be wrong.