Which bassist is Pat Metheny touring with?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by alexssandro, Jan 17, 2002.

1. The Pat Metheny Group website lists both Steve Rodby and Richard Bona as their bass player. Does anyone have any idea who is currently touring with them? I'm hoping it's Richard Bona!
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    It is Richard Bona. Check Bona's website It's in the "Bassists" forum, where I'm moving this thread, since it's about a bassist, (whoda thunk?)
  3. No it's not Richard! Steve Rodby is playing bass; Richard is doing vocals and percussion. Check out patmethenygroup.com
  4. Interesting. I wonder if Richard plays any bass at all on the tour? I mean, bringing Richard Bona on tour and having him play percussion and vocals but no bass is sort of like bringing Pat Metheny on tour and having him NOT play guitar! I'm absolutely certain that Richard can more than hold his own on any instrument, but I'd really like to see him on bass. No disrespect toward Steve Rodby; I'm sure he's no less than a first class bassist.
  5. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Actually, what is interesting is that for all Bona's bass mastery, his recent efforts, both as a guest and leader, have focused mainly on his vocal stylings. I have no idea as to whether or not he contributed bass to the new PMG record, but I think his contributions mainly will be vocals and percussion. I get to see it happen live on April 25, so I'm stoked!
  6. I read a Bass Player article about a month ago where they say that Richard can watch someone play an instrument, then pick it up and play it himself like it's his primary instrument. He is just one of those super gifted folks, I guess... I get to see PMG too in April and I'm psyched but I REALLY wish I could see Richard play bass. No disrespect to Steve, but I've seen him a few times and have not seen Richard. I love his bass work on Mike Stern's 'Voices'.
  7. I think I might see Metheny in Syracuse or Rochester this March. I'll be disappointed not to hear Bona on bass--his work on Larry Coryell's Spaces Revisited is excellent--but I'm keeping an open mind about Rodby.

The more important thing happening that weekend is the Jarrett/DeJohnette/Peacock show in Philly...oh man.