1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which bassist should I study next?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Harry Lime, Mar 1, 2002.

1. I am currently studying the basslines of Paul McCartney. I am learning from a few theory books as well. But I want to start preparing on who I should study next. What do you guys mean when you say "study" anyway? I mean, if you don't get a good book like the Signature Licks books, all you are presented with is is the music.

I like all kinds of music. So it is a bit difficult to choose from. I could go with Jaco, Flea, Motown... (all three of those have Hal Leonard Signature Licks books.) Unfortunately with Paul McCartney I just use my Beatles Scores and Beatless Bass book. I would really like to choose one artist, because I find that all the tabs on the internet are unreliable in terms of rhythm and sometimes they are just plain wrong. I tried playing that John Deacon riff from 'Under Pressure' on here...and it doens't sound anything like what he plays.

The Signature Series explains in detail about each bassline and song. (I own The Doors Signature Licks Series for Guitar, so I know how good their books are.) Anyway, I could go with one of those three...or there are others like John Deacon or Sting. Or am I even making any sense here? I should probably go with something that isn't rock oriented, just to learn another style...right?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Remember this title:

Standing in the Shadows of Motown, by Dr. Licks Hal Leonard Publisher.

If there's one bassist whose style all bassists should learn this is it. I've had my copy for 10 years and I still get great stuff out of it. Get it. Trust me.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...personally, I'd go for Jamerson & Motown-
    Standing In The Shadows Of Motown is a must! ;)
    Getting aquainted with Latin/Afro-Cuban music is another angle. It is, after all, the music you're after(I assume)...it is cool to listen intently to ONE player & maybe trace his developement & such...
    That said-
    My opinion is to get into a lotta stuff...Rock, Funk, Latin, Reggae, Swing, Bop, etc.

BTW, those of us from way back didn't have "good books"...all we had "was the music".
    Don't lose sight of that!

4. Big Wheel and Jim K:

Is this what you are talking about?

Motown Guitar

I found one for $10 bucks cheaper at amazon.com

Motown Amazon

I'll probably go with this...but it does say "not for the beginner." I'm not a beginner beginner...but I've only been playing on and off since August.

5. definately a good choice
    get the funkmasters while u are at it

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Jamerson's alright, but you really should study my stuff.

;)

7. For something a little different but definitely way cool, try getting into Anthony Jackson. I've been digging the hell out of his work with Steve Khan; he's also done significant work with Al DiMeola (too bad the guitar sounds so dated), Chaka Khan, and a lot of Philly soul stuff. One of the great things about him is that he's so hard to categorize.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Harry-
    Yeah, that's the Jamerson book. It does contain some very challenging pieces as Jamerson's style is busy & "complicated". This book/cds do make an attempt to discuss what's goin' on(no pun intended), thanks to Anthony Jackson.
    After playing thru many of the songs, you should 'see' some definite Jamerson-isms emerge.
    Caveat: Can you read music? I don't believe any of the examples are TAB'd out.

Anybody else try playing some of Jamerson lines 'backwards'?
    (Damn, just gave away one of 'my' secrets for coming up with the convoluted groove!) ;)

BTW, the James Brown Groove Masters book/cds is also worthy...

9. John Paul Jones

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Another possibility - Tim Bogert (especially with Cactus)....crack your knuckles and hang on for the ride!!!!

11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Definitely check out Geddy Lee's work with Rush.

12. Eric Wilson is good

stuff like santeria that flows so well is what i really like

13. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Alphonso Johnson, with for example Jazz is Dead.

14. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    For the all the guys who recommend this book(I also highly recommend it): How long did it take you to play "Home Cookin'" well? I struggled with that one for quite some time! I don't think I'd ever be ready to perform that one note for note in a live situation!

15. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    if you'd already studied mccartney, take a step up and go to bill wyman. ;):D

16. MBoy12

MBoy12 Guest

Dec 22, 2000
    Listen to John Myung from Dream Theater,
    and Tony Levin who plays with Peter Gabriel and many, many others. Tony did a great job in Liquid Tension Experiment.:D

17. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [if you'd already studied mccartney, take a step up and go to bill wyman.

(Thud! Pedro falling out of his chair.)

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Operative word is "well".
    Not this boy...
    I like how Hungate sez, "I'm gonna attempt to play "Home Cookin'" on the disc. Yeah, right. ;)

Pedro-
    Good one!

Sean-
    En que piensas, hombre?! ;)

19. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Sorry JimK, the Bill Wyman comment sort of caught me by surprise.

20. coarp

coarp

Mar 2, 2002
    california
    study fieldy from that band called KoRn. his basslines sound like percussion, he slaps alot, to sum up he is a great bass player.