Which bassist uses Picks and is it better then fingers??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by GeorgeBush, Dec 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeorgeBush

Dec 11, 2002
    Is picks better then fingers??
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I don't think one is better than the other. I depends on what sound and attack you're after. There have been numerous threads about this that you can find in the archives. As for players, well Chris Squire, Macca, Jason Newstead, etc.
  3. DrPFunk

Nov 17, 2002
    Allen Woody did. It depends upon the style and what other instruments you are playing with. The sound should dictate what you do.
  4. GeorgeBush

Dec 11, 2002
    can you play upright bass with a pick??
  5. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    I don't see a reason not to. But I don't I don't think it sounds very good. but try a pick on upright see what happens.

Mike Gordon, Paul McCartney, Lemmy, Mike Watt, Flea

they use picks
  6. VERY recently though, and seldom. Probably less than 10% of the time, all since Californication.
  7. John Entwhistle played with a pick about 45% of the time. The bass solo on 'My Generation' is recorded with a pick.

As for other pick users:

Justin Chancellor (Tool)
    Carol Kaye
    Anthony Jackson
    Shavo Odadjian(System Of A Down)
    Sharlee D'Angelo(Arch Enemy) - just discovered this guy, his stuff on Wages Of Sin is awesome. That's just pure Ric-with-a-pick tone.

There are more, but they don't get much recognition so I'll leave those guys out. Many bassists will use a pick in the studio, mainly for attack or tone. I like the attack and tone so much I use a pick all the time, and I find it helps me perform guitar techniques such as sweep arpeggios and pinch harmonics much better. The tradeoff is not being able to switch to slap as quickly, but IMO slap is overrated so I'm set. I like to double pick too.
  8. Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    Hmmm, "My generation" played with a pick?

I did see that on my DVD from The Who, but what I can remember from the ol' videoclip the Ox played it with his fingers.
  9. Listen to Steve Swallow, uses picks and is great, the best pick user I know there is.
    I dont think is better than playing with the fingers. I think fingers are more versatile and personally dont like the feel of the pick too much .
  10. Either I'm right, or Bass Guitar Magazine UK is wrong:

11. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    John Entwistle used both the pick, and his fingers.
    So did John Paul Jones. If anybody here has the video lesson (or rather the on line)lesson with John Paul Jones, he talks about that. And yes-he's using the old Jazz bass.
  12. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    I like Fleas pick playing. I think it's pretty cool sounding. Anyway its not how often they play with a pick it's if they do. Adam Clayton should be up here too. and Phil Lesh
  13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Haven't we done this thread before -- like, dozens and dozens of times?
  14. Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    Panterafan, maybe you're right. Perhaps it is recorded with a pick. But maybe the Ox thought it would be cooler to perform it with his fingers in that ol' black n' white clip. His fingers where moving extraordinairy fast for that period of time, it looked impressive, no doubt about that.
  15. Doug Pinnick from King's X is one of the better pick players iv'e seen. This subject is up in the air. Whatever you think sounds best. Why not try both? Happy Plucking!
  16. deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
  17. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    I have been voted the best bass player in the world. Therefore my opinion is the absolute truth.
    Let my wisdom bring a peaceful end to this ongoing debate amoung you mortals.

Fingers are better than picks.

But why, I hear you say? Well, let me explain...

1) Because if you play soley with a pick and lose it, you're buggered.

2) Picks are made from plastic. By using a pick you are contributing to the ever increasing hoel in the ozone layer (US citizens please look up 'ozone' in an encyclopaedia).

3) If human kind were meant to play bass with a pick, we'd have been born with picks instead of fingers.

4) Pick rhymes with 'dick'.

5) Most guitarists use them.
  18. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK

So who voted you the best bass player in the world, Howard? :D
  19. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    I did. I scored 100% of the votes.

If I remember correctly the question I asked myself was along the lines of "Out of yourself, who is the best bass player in the world?"

..but seriously tho "What is better picks or fingers?!"

For what? Playing jazz on a fretless? What kind of moron would play metal or punk with a pick, pah!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.