Which bassists have been or are self taught?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Progressive, Jan 26, 2006.

1. I recently learned that Chris Squire, the bassist for Yes, was self-taught! This amazes me, because the songs I have heard of Yes have some of my favourite bass lines and texture to them. Let's see how many bassists you know of that are self taught? I feel inspired not to take lessons; I feel like being a rebel. =P
  2. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I've heard that flea has had barely any instruction (besides his initial lessons from Hillel Slovak).
  3. Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    yeah i think Flea is basicly self tought, i'm not sure how much or what hillel tought him but other than that the rest is all him...i think, i cant think of anyone else whos self tought, when anyone else pops in my head ill give a post....ME! lol
  4. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Billy sheehan is self-taught..

I took lessons for about a year but i never learned anything som i guess that makes me self-taught too...
  5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    AFAIK, Reed Mathis has never had a lesson in his life...and I'm glad he hasn't.
  6. Scottie

Scottie Banned

Oct 14, 2005
    Michael Anthony probably studied at the feet of Stanley Clarke and Jaco. His bass lines are simply breathtaking and macnificant.
  7. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Depends on how you define sef taught. From my experience most "self taught", jam w/ other people and pick things up that way (show me how you did that) or watch other players. Now books,DVD's and videos. I think a lot is picked up from other people, they just didn't pay for lessons.
  8. crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    isn't Steve Harris self taught?
  9. les claypool comes to mind. and flea is self tought on bass, but not on trumpet

10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  11. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Percy Jones (?)
    Mick Karn

Those are the first two to pop out of my head. Interestingly enough, both are fretless players.
  12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Jaco claimed he was "formally self-taught".
  13. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    I'm self taught, but I don't think thats what you mean.:smug:
  14. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Percy Jones: I am a self taught musician. I grew up in a fairly rural part of Central Wales and there were no electric bass teachers around in those days..
  15. Yessir. He just got a bass, dug the sound, and was taught the E,D,C, and G notes by Dave Murray. That's about it. :)
  16. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If I'm not mistaken, I think Rocco learned on the fly as well.
  17. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I don't think Flea totally counts, he was well versed in Jazz Trumpet before taking up bass, so he must have already had quite a bit of musical know-how under his belt.
  18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I find it unremarkable that Chris Squire is self taught. He came up at a time when the electric bass was a very new instrument and there was not much in the way of formal instruction aimed specifically at the the bass guitar. Even today, bass guitar attracts many people because if it is very easy to play basic pop or rock on it. Most of us are self taught to one degree or another. That is what we do when we learn songs from CDs or check out players at concert or on video.