Which BBE?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jon R, Jun 26, 2004.

1. I've done the search thing, gone to the BBE website, and read all the info I can find, but I'm still confused... which BBE should I add to my rack? The options seem to be 362, 482, 482i or MaxCom. FWIW, I was thinking of adding a compressor in the near future (JoeMeek or RNC?) so the MaxCom might be most cost effective.

So what are the differences between these models? Why do all of them apparently have two channels (don't I only need one?)? Any ideas of the $$$ involved?

2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    The more expensive ones have more headroom. I've never managed to clip my 362 though. They have 2 channels because they're mostly designed for PA and studio applications. You should be able to buy a used one for under $100. The MaxCom sounds interesting but as w/ everything try it out first -- the whole idea behind componenets in a rack is that you can swap out each effect to get the one that works best for you, and when you have combo units that do more than 1 function you trade away that flexibility in favor of space/weight.
  3. Thanks jondog. That extra bit of info was exactly what I needed. Looks like I'll be going for a 482i in the near future.
  4. judd levison

judd levison

Jun 2, 2003
    Hi guys,

just as a reference point, the VCA we're using in the MaxCom is made by THAT! Corp. and is the same VCA used in the dbx 166a.

the MaxCom starts shipping tomorrow actually.

thanks for the support.