Which Berg "NV" series cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rayzak, Sep 27, 2005.

1. NV 425

11 vote(s)
  2. NV 610

33 vote(s)
  3. NV 215

10 vote(s)
  1. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I cannot decide for the life of me which cab I want. But, I do know I want one of these 3. Tell me why you voted the way you did. Thanks.

NV 425
    NV 610
    NV 215
  2. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Rayzak, I voted for the NV610, but I haven't played the others...The reason why I voted is because this cab is truly amazing...I've been playing with it for almost 2 years...and I have had epifani, other bergs, ampeg, swr, accugrooove etc...and though there are many cabs that will sound better in your living room, it's hard to find a better cab in a live situation, it sits perfect in the mix and the tone is tight and focused with just a the right amount of the grind and growl that we all love....You simply can't go wrong with this cab if you're a gigging bassist....With this said, I'll bet the others cabs will be equally great, but when it comes to punch and cutting through I know this cab wins in my book...
  3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    425 for me. I like mine because it is the polar opposite of my Whappo Jr. The sound and vibe is old school and killer.
  4. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    If you are having toruble deciding, I'd go with the 425 since it's the "compromise" cab of the 3. I got one and love the vibe it puts out.
  5. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I really don't have an opinion on which as I have only played through the 610 - and I bought one! Killer sound and LOUD!

Dan K.
  6. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
  7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    What kind of tone are you seeking?
  8. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I voted NV215... because I've always preferred 15" bass drivers, and I have one! I run an Aguilar DB750 through it. The cab will cut through the mix all the way to the back of any venue I've played thus far. I can dial-up enough highs and mids from the eq's on either the amp or the guitar when necessary, and I still get the low, fat tones that one can always count on from a pair of 15"s...

I've been thinking about adding a NV610, but in a different thread here in TB, a guy mentioned that a bass player, Scott Palmer, with a band called John Brown's Body, plays through a pair of NV215's... :eek: Now that really throws me back into reconsideration mode!
  9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Or...a NV425 (that would give you 3x15 + 3x10 + 1x6). :bassist:

I'd have a tough time choosing myself -- pretty sure there's no bad choices available here.
    [I sure wish my local dealer had some in stock that I could check out.]
  10. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    I haven't had GAS for anything amp related since getting my nv610, and it's been well over a year now. (I'd love to try an nv215 though, but I'd never let the 610 go)
  11. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Yup! Scott Palmer is a good friend of mine(and bought all of his cabs from me!). He is one CRAZY loud dude! He used to use an NV-610/NV-215 stack with 1000 watts of power. That wasn't enough, so now it's 2 NV-215's with 3000 or so watts. He has Aguilar OBP-1 pres in his basses, with the bass control dimed.
    He'll play a 500-600 seat packed house, and the soundman will have him out of the mix. The man likes bass(and Whiskey!)
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Same here. I'd love to hear the other two sometime, but I adore my NV610 so I'm not that curious. I'd probably be happy with any of the three, though.

As lo-freq said, it would *really* help if you told us what kind of tone you were looking for.
  13. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Indeed! Well, it seems to me that the man certainly has his priorities in order... :D
  14. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Ahh the Legend of the drunk Chef

Yes his Kung Fu is indeed, Strong.

I voted 425, they Rule. Thanks Cory/justin!

15. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Glad you love it Andrew! I still love my NV-610 4 years later. It's recently become my main cab again.
  16. BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    "Or...a NV425 (that would give you 3x15 + 3x10 + 1x6). "

I thought the NV425 had one 15" and 3 10" ... I would love to see the one described above. MY
  17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I voted for the NV215. I really liked the added high(er) end clarity that the 6" midrange offered, and it was also the deepest sounding of the three. In addition, it seemed to me that it was the most accurate of the three across its listed frequency range. Of course, many people may be looking at this line as a way to get a punchy, old school vibe but in a modern package, and for those folks, the NV610 really delivers. If you want most of that same punch/vibe, but with a more extended low end, then the 425 is just the ticket. And of course, if you want the deepest (and dare I say tightest) lows of the three, with a more balanced midrange, and with more upper mids to high end clarity, then it's the NV215.

Personally, I think that the NV215 is one of the best cabs that I have ever played. But perhaps that's just because it fits with the tone that I am going after and the style of music that I play. But I would love to try it alongside an NV610 sometime! :bassist:

Later, Tom.
  18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Keeaumoku already has an NV215; those drivers + the NV425 give the combination I listed -- I should have made that more clear. :)

The more I think about it, the more I would lean towards either two NV215 or the NV215+NV610 -- the later would give you more versatility (three different tones available -- NV215 by itself, NV610 by itself and then the two together).
  19. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Yo, Freq!

I got it! ...but you knew that. :D

I just wish one of these chicken-kukai stores out here would sign-on with The Exalted One Jim Bergantino, and be a dealer for his products... I don't know, maybe shipping to Paradise might have something to do with possible hesitation. I'm gonna have to ask my music store owner/friend, 'cuz I know he attends NAMM shows in Vegas... :meh: I just wish I could try out all three combinations: NV215 + NV610; NV215 + (your crazed suggestion :eek: ) NV425; NV215 + NV215...

I have an upcoming business trip in mid-October to Atlanta for a week, and then I plan on stopping off in Cowtown to visit la familia for four more days. I'm gonna rent one of those Chrysler 300's, so I just might mosey on down to Austin, and introduce myself to Mr. John Files down there at Bass Emporium. After all, he's the hombre that sold, and then shipped me my NV215 "ear unheard."

Geeze Louise! I just thought of this: I just might end up plopping down the 'ol plastic and make a purchase right then and there... uh-oh! :eyebrow:

You are definitely on to something regarding "three different tones." You might recall that I also have an Eden D410XLT. As you'd imagine, I've done just that: use one or the other, or both! I have three amps: Ashdown ABM500RC-Evo II; Aguilar DB750, and... my beloved... Marshall VBA400. I'm unable to pair the cabs with the Ashdown, because my cabs are both 4 Ohm, and the amp cannot take 2 Ohms. However... both the Aggie and my beloved Marshall sing at 2 Ohms... Hell... I think they prefer it!

Me Kealoha Pumehana... :hyper:
  20. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    +1 :bassist: