Which body style?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bassic83, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'm getting ready to do the body templates, and would like your input. Which shape do you like better, A or B? These are preliminary drawings, and I may not incorporate the omega cut in the one, due to space constraints.

Attached Files:

2. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shape B reminds me of a cross between a Brian Bromberg bass (sweep of horns) and an Alembic (cut out below bridge).
    Both are great designs, though!

3. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I prefer the 'omega-less' version of the second shape. It reminds me of a bromberg. (sp?)

Hey! He put that here while I was typing. :D
  4. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    B just has more style :cool:
  5. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Actually, B is based loosely on the Bromberg. I have one, and I know Brian, and it's my favorite bass currently. The general shape is like it, but not the same, even without the omega. It's gonna be one FINE 6-gun when I get around to completing it. I have my Q-Tuner P/Us, my Gotoh piezo bridge, and most all the wood. I have my neck-through blank partially cut, and my mad wenge F/B blank square. Ready to slot and rout the bottom for my fiber optics, install the frets. Still need to get the tuners, looking for black Gotoh's with brown pearl knobs. Haven't decided on the nut material yet, but thinking brass. Already have a couple nice pieces of black Corian, but I don't like the way it works. Going with handmade knobs on the electronics, based on the body woods. Prolly walnut with figured guanacaste tops, with a silver bar down the indicating side. It's gonna be about 6 months before it gets near completion, the way my life is going right now (no time).

P.S.- someone told me that A reminded them of an Acacia bass...personally, I just don't see it.
  6. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I like the first one (A)