1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Boost Pedals Have You All Been Into?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JN8642, Dec 2, 2018.

1. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    What's up you spicy devils!

I've been thinking about getting a boost pedal again, something I can use to break up my tube amp a little. My favorite so far has been a nearly cranked MXR Micro Amp.

I've been wanting to try the Keeley Katana and the W&C Phat Phuk (Non B since it's way easier to get ahold of).

Just interested in hearing about what you've liked the most and why :)

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Southampton All Things Equal is my boost of choice. I have V1 in a tiny pedal, but he's got a V2 in a 1590b that has the same circuit plus a dirty boost called the Fifth Gear built into it. Very transparent, doesn't have a ton of boost on tap but plenty for my needs.

I also tried a TC Spark Mini that I liked very well. It's pretty transparent overall but does have a slight mid scoop. At the same time, I got an HBE Bajo Mos, which is also transparent and does have a ton of boost. If you've ever seen the schematics for the AMZ Clean Boost floating around the net, that's what it is. I tried both and preferred the Bajo Mos. But it's not being made anymore and it's in a pretty large box that it doesn't need. However, I'm keeping it because it has the very best pedal graphics I've ever seen:

qhtocekkcmavljijool2.

Did you see? The bull has very large testicles! Cool, huh?

tedsalt, bassbrad, JN8642 and 2 others like this.
  3. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    I have never really looked for a boost pedal but i have recently discovered i really like the Moog LPF 101 as a boost. Because the drive knob on the pedal is always "on" the whole pedal is in a loop so i turn on the loop pedal to activate the LPF. But i have found by bypassing the filter section of the pedal and just using the "drive" or level section, it makes a great boost pedal to push my drive pedals just that little bit harder.

I wouldnt buy it just for this reason but i love that i can use it like that.

JN8642 and Mosfed like this.
  4. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I love me a good boost pedal.

Some of my favorites:

- Spaceman Saturn V
    - Spaceman Atlas III
    - Spaceman Mercury III and IV
    - BugCaster / AU-Drive
    - Sfx Micro-boost
    - Broughton Amplitude

BartmanPDX, nshuman and JN8642 like this.
  5. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I have two: W&C Suppa Phat Phuk and the DOD FX10.
    The SPP is a great dirty boost that makes everything sound better after it. I love to stack it with diferent drivesband fuzzes.
    The DOD is a great clean boost that has an amazing tone eq that makes it super versatile and helps fatten up the sound.
    I also had a RC Bass Booster clone that sounded great and a Sadowsky preamp clone that I used on some slap parts to help put my sound more upfront.
    Besides these, I used some eq pedals and even my former EBS Multicomp as boosts also.

JN8642 likes this.
  6. I have a Mosky Xp boost that is a clone of the Xotic EP boost that is one of several takes of the input gain stage on the old Maestro EchoPlex unit.

My other boost pedal is the Durham Sex Drive is a bit more involved as it is also a tone enhancer and comp, but hey.

JN8642 and Nunovsky like this.
  7. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    TC Spark!

Marikk, Climax and JN8642 like this.
  8. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    You had me at Mosky, how do you like the xp compared to others you've tried?

gregmon79 likes this.
  9. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Supporting Member

I use a Boss GEB-7 for clean boost.

JN8642 likes this.
  10. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    My favs have been

Southampton Fifth Gear (v1 #1 which I still have and love)
    DOD fx10
    W&C Phat Phuk B (that one was so cool. Really dig the enclosure)
    EP Booster

I still want to get a TC Spark Booster. That’s one sweet boost

JN8642 likes this.
  11. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Not specifically a boost but the BAT Black Forest is amazing at low gain settings, it's a modded clone of the old Colorsound OD which is a rare 70's transistor based circuit. It gets fuzzy when cranked but 100% transparent at low gain settings. And the dual low/high EQ is great, can get super thick with the bass cranked or very bright with the treble up. The 6 way depth control is a bit subtle but shifts the low end response even further, when cranked at high gain settings it can get some "splatty" fuzz sounds.

bff.

Pretty expensive but I scored mine used for fairly cheap, and the overall quality is amazing. One of the lowest noise dirt pedals I have tried and the artwork is beautiful, though in person it just looks like a sparkling black blob.

Not many demos on bass but it has plenty of lowend IME, I mainly use it on guitar/keys but it can definitely work on bass too.

gregmon79 and JN8642 like this.
  12. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    The W&C PPB sounds awesome in the demo and I've heard nothing but hype about it but idk if I could justify spending $190 on a boost, their guitar version pops up everywhere though for good used prices.

I've tried the mini spark, would love to try the full version as well

13. Karlo.kc

Karlo.kc

Dec 16, 2008
    Croatia
    DOD FX10, I use it with tone knob all the way counterclockwise :) it can cut through the mix without getting muddy

gregmon79 likes this.
  14. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    DOD Bi-Fet Boost reissue

gregmon79 likes this.
  15. mr80htz

mr80htz

May 15, 2018
    A boost is the only pedal I would need at a gig if the group gets freaked out by a bass player with a pedal board for slapping and solos. I was blown away by the Spark Mini. I have it driving my drives harder on my board and use a MXR/CAE Boost/Line Driver right now. It must add subtle limiting or comp. and it cuts well without changing the tone much. Super good

16. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    EP Booster at 18v

17. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    That is one thing I love about that pedal! It can get so dubby if you want it to but still holds clarity which is crazy for how dubby it can get. My tone knob lives around noon or 1 depending on the bass.

18. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Well it could be an always on type thing too. I know I thought it was pretty expensive when I got mine but I think I found one used for like $160 I think it was. I know my fx10 is always on. I use it for an enhancer as much as I do a little boost and I think the PPB can be used in the same fashion.

19. I've found an EQ pedal to be a better option for my boost needs, as I prefer to have an EQ change for soloing as well as a volume boost. I use the MXR 10 band EQ, the newer silver model.

20. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz in gain-boost mode. Use it to drive my fuzzes into madness or even further grit to some delay.