1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Boutique and High End Owners are playing with a pick ?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, May 9, 2006.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Which of you High End/Boutique owners are playing with a pick ?. Personely 99.9 % of the time I am playing fingerstyle but tonight I was experimenting on my G&L with some chordal patterns I wrote and man did a pick fit my needs for it , it is a nice tool to have for specific styles.

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I play with a pick when the song calls for it. My Sadowsky UV70 5'er loves to be picked ... other high enders, not so much.

3. I play my Zon Legacy Elite in any capable way I can manage, which of course includes with a pick.

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

I also think a Pick sounds better with my Sadowsky when it has a fresh set of strings on it.

5. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Sometimes I do, when the effect is desired. Out of all of the basses I have though, my fender jazz responds the best to pick playing. I actually tried doing some pick playing on my rob allen to see if I could possibly do a steve swallow type tone with the piezos, oddly enough I believe I heard a natural chorusing effect.

My warwick with the treble boosted on teh bass and played with a pick does some cool sounds, in the vein of paul d'amore (sp?) and justin chancellor.

6. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    My modulus get some pick action when it's needed. It doesn't happen to much, but it really brings out the gritty graphite sound.

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I used to play the Roscoe almost exclusively with a pick, but the past few years its been probably 70/30 fingerstyle. Haven't tried the Modulus with a pick yet. I'll have to give it a shot. Come to think of it, I haven't really put a pick to the Benavente or the Cirrus yet, either. Odd.

8. Adam Clayton also. Doesn't he use Laklands?

9. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Status Graphite, 85% pick.

10. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I'm probably 25/75 (pick/fingers). I love the sound of a pick. I grew up playing Grand Funk, Yes and Allman Brothers music. A pick just seemed like the normal way to play bass. Especially while the grand piano bass tone was really happening. I still love it in some tunes.........20 years ago I was probably 90/10 (pick/fingers).
    Oh yeah, and I've been playing high end (boutique) basses for the last 25 years (yeah, kind of dates me......:D )

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I play about 5 percent of the time with a pick, pretty much when the song demands that sound.

12. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I play with a pick on my Dingwall when the song requires it. Otherwise I prefer fingerstyle.

13. 75/25 fingers/pick on my FBB. The FBB's sound is naturally very compressed as a result of the incredibly stiff neck and bubinga fingerboard, so that little extra grind really helps.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Why would there be a difference if someone owned a Cheapo bass, More expensive production Bass or a boutique bass weather they would use a pick or not?

Usually 50/50 with me but it has nothing to do with the bass I'm playing. It usually depends on the mood I'm in. Some Rush songs I can only play with a pick.

15. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    No picks on my MTD! Though, I might try and learn on my Fender :D

16. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Scratch the fancy wood?

17. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Maybe those durn boutique owners are too snobby to use one? I've never used a pic myself, but with all the threads on pick usage that I've read... I'm planning on adding it to the repertoire. I've got a Cirrus 5 fretless now, and a Rob Allen MB-2 5-string fretless due on the 22nd.

18. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
  19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Then leave it in the protective glass case over the fireplace. :)

20. +10000000

We pay loads of cash to play our instruments, not stare at them.