Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which box do I have to sell?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Micolao, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    this 2 cabs:

Parsek 2x12+ 6" mid tweeter, 600watt-4 ohm
    [​IMG]
    Parsek Pros:
    easy to transport
    can handle more power
    really good round sounding, great basses
    better construction

Cons:
    less attack
    no tweeter (but a 6"midtweeter)
    maybe too much watts for an hartke 3500
    a little bit heavyer than the Ash

Ashdown Mag 410t deep, 450watt-4 ohm
    [​IMG]

pros:
    more attack
    more suitable with the ha3500
    tweeter, but not adjustable

cons:
    less low end (start from 60hertz)
    more bulky

:help:
    i love them both fore some reasons, but I have to part with one of them to buy some pedals...
    maybe I slightly prefer the Parsek, but sometimes I miss the attack of the 4x10...

2. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    I wrote box...but I'm meaning cab:smug:

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You need to find a third option.

Money to buy effects pedals should NEVER be a reason to sell a cab that you like.

Also, your statement that one of the cabs "has to many watts" for the head is erroneous. It just doesn't work that way.

4. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    Ok, but,
    I'm playing often live, and I can never bring both cabs, and I don't use them at the same time.
    I'm not working (I'm still a student) so actually I can't raise extra money to buy the pedals I need (and I need them, I'm going to record the new cd with my band)
    i know I can survive with only one of them...but which one?
    I know there's a third option, and probably is sell both of them and find another cab, maybe an Ampeg or other...but...:smug: it's not time yet...:smug:

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    You could sell both and go to a Schroeder 1010 or 1210. Plenty of bottom end and very nice mids and highs. At 48 pounds they are light and very transportable. The Hartke provides enough power to push the cab as well.
    If you are set on keeping one or the other it seems like the 4x10 is a little better option. The bottom end (60Hz or below) you will not miss as much as more audible frequencies and it is lighter.

7. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I've never heard either of these cabs.

But the parsek looks real cool :cool:

8. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    (Parsek is the first product of the actual Markbass, but without neodymium speakers, heavyer, but great quality)

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Keep the Parsek. It looks light it sounds great.

10. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    what eric said.

BUT, that wasnt your question, so, based on what you have there i woudl keep the parsec. why? it looks cooler. why else? 2x12 in a small package "sounds" great. I never heard either, so geez, how can i really make the call!

and as for the schroeder post, cmon. that wasnt even one of his options, or clse to his question!!!!!!! schroeder-itis is really rampant! and that from a guy who is probably getting a 1212 this spring.

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Sell the Ashdown. Use some of the money to buy a tweeter and crossover for the Parsek, thus giving it the attack it's currently missing and transforming it into the perfect cab for you. With whatever money is left, buy pedals.

That's what I'd do.

12. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Sounds like the main disadvantage of the Parsek is the lack of a tweeter. Add one with a crossover and you'll have a better tweeter option (ie: one with an attenuator) than the Ashdown. The 12's may not punch like a 410, but you can correct than somewhat with EQ...

PS: Most any decent studio will have plenty of high quailty effects to play with. If you need the pedals to reproduce the same sound live then I understand, but it would probably be easier (and cheaper) to let the producer handle the effects on a dry bass track. Just my $.02

13. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    Thank you guys for the answers...;)

Good idea adding a tweeter in the Parsek...
    in wich part of the cab should I put it?
    Do I have to leave the mid in its place?

adding a tweeter with a crossover will not change the impedance of the cab right?

14. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    Ok, there's something new...
    a guy asked me to exchange my Parsek with an Ampeg SVT410he...but I don't think the ampeg will be good as a standalone cab...
    I'm pretty interested, but I want also your opinion...

15. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Adding a tweet with a crossover won't change your cab's overall impedance handly at all, since the load is only on the high frequencies.

Be sure to get a crossover with an attenuator, though. That way you can dial in just the perfect amount of tweet for your preferred tone.