1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which brand/company is the king of "bang for the buck"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lunatique, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Lunatique

Lunatique

Nov 23, 2007
    Lincoln, CA
    I don't know if it's just my impression, but it seems out of all the brands out there, Ibanez is the one that has the best "bang for the buck" when it comes to competitive prices for high quality and wide range of products, as well as an adventurous spirit in trying different things--at least compared to other big name companies. Do y'all see this as true, or you think there are other companies that deserve this title even more?

The Rage, Craig4003, Rokit and 11 others like this.
  2. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    I think there are several other good ones like Yamaha, Sire, and the Tribute by G&L, however, I think a Ibanez has(or has had models in the past) a bass that could satisfy almost every single player and at close to if not the lowest price. Once you get above the 300 series you are almost guaranteed to get a nice bass with great features. My SR655 is seriously the best versatile new bass I tried under $1200. I like it enough that now that I’m working on slap more, the narrow 5 string spacing in addition to the neck pickup being VERY close to the edge I’m looking for a 4 string with better spacing and a bridge humbucker. I’m thinking used Ibanez ATK or something like that. Used Ibanez is an even better deal!

nabilhuakbar, kesslari, Rokit and 8 others like this.
  3. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

Harley Benton. Same bang, less bucks. 'Nuff said.

4. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    Epiphone has always provided a nice bass at a reasonable price.

KB5, kevin wells, Rip Van Dan and 4 others like this.
  5. xaosbass

xaosbass

Feb 15, 2008
    Sterling by Music Man Stingray Sub Series. Yeah, the 300.00 ones at GC.

6. InnerBass

InnerBass Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Thumpn' Happily
    Carvin would be my first thought

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I know it's not what you meant but my best ever bang for the buck was an early '60s Silvertone Model 1444 by Danelectro in barely used condition with case I bought at garage sale for $25. You never know what you're going to stumble across.

I'd say Squier CV and Epiphone are a good examples of bang for the buck.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  8. Hammerfield

Hammerfield

Aug 1, 2016
    Argentina
    Old Peavey's??

9. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I'll second the nomination for Yamaha. The quality is exceptional at every price level.

10. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    SX

11. Thorny1

Thorny1

Jun 16, 2019
    Old Peavey is hard to beat on the used market.

New Ibanez seems to be much the same, in new basses.

12. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I mean, what do you consider bang?

SactoBass and Nashrakh like this.
  13. Used to be Carvin but no more IMHO since they went Kiesel, but used ones are usually a steal. SX basses are great and cheap. I always had good results with non-Affinity Squiers, but their prices have increased a bit over the last year or 2 and that kinda makes me look elsewhere.

Were I looking for a bang-for-the-buck bass that was new, I would look at Yamaha, Sire and Ibanez.

14. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Kiesel for sure. You get a custom, USA made bass with top quality woods and parts for less than other brands Indonesian/China made basses with generic woods and cheap parts.

xnewyorka and DonaldR like this.
  15. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Right now I'd say Cort. Their current lineup is amazing and reasonably priced.

allintime, fenjazz, Frans688 and 5 others like this.
  16. I'd second the Ibanez - not just for the sounds and quality build, but also because they're almost supernaturally light*. To these old bones, that's a blessing.

*Exception:: my SRX700. Not as bad as some, but heavy for an Ibby.

Rokit likes this.
  17. Tommyc

Tommyc

Nov 11, 2015
    Midwest
    That’s easy, Squier Classic Vibe and used G&L USA.

18. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Strickly used market speaking, Used Ibanez, US G&L's (although I think they are starting to climb some) and used US Peaveys. Recently purchased an awesome Peavey G Bass in the case shipped for under 500.00. You show me another US made bass with a Graphite neck you can buy for that kind of money. In fact I'm waiting for delivery of a 5 string version (GV) right now and it was less than 550.00. You can't beat them.

kesslari, Rokit, PennyroyalWe and 5 others like this.
  19. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Ibanez is absolutely a contender. They make fantastic gear for low prices. I've owned only one, a fretless SR305F, for about eight years. Got me through high school and a few years of gigs. Its goodbye was undeserving; a GAS-fueled pawn shop trade-in for a Squier J that didn't make but a year and some change.

Rokit and Helix like this.
  20. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    It depends a bit on what price bracket you're aiming at.
    In [As cheap as possible] both SX and Harley Benton offer stuff that's priced ridiculously low but actually works.
    Once you get past that, it's hard to ignore Ibanez. When you want to spend 500-1000 bucks, you will get serious quality that others do at twice the price. Yamaha and Cort, as two of the largest producers for guitar-type instruments in the world, also offer great axes for small money.

Rokit and PennyroyalWe like this.