1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which brand has the least dead strings right out of the package - Poll

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jim C, Jan 5, 2018.

1. D'Addario

2. Dean Markley

3. DR

4. Dunlop

5. Ernie Ball

6. Fender

7. GHS

8. Labella

9. Rotosound

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I may not be as picky as most but I have had a dead string every once in awhile.
    I can only assume that with machine made strings it is either operator error or defective materials.
    Either way, what brand of strings has had the least dead ones out of the box in your experience?

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Not sure this is fair... I have a couple of customers who seem to have a dead string regardless of brand. Majority of others don't have problems or at least do not bring it to my attention.

Besides those special users, unfortunately Dr round core are the most commonly complained about, but it is usually user error.

3. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Example... I purchased an entire production run of a set... About 600 sets... All sold... One customer had 3 bad e strings of 5 sets he purchased. Of course I replacement them though no one else mentioned anything or an issue...

4. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Hey Jason,
    You would be a great source on this.
    Does any brand have more issues than another?

5. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The only one that commonly does are DR Round Core strings and it is usually user error.

6. I don't recall ever having a dead string straight out of the package on either bass or guitar, regardless of brand.

petch, Bodeanly and Salicete like this.
  7. This.

8. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Odd, because when I used them a lot more than I used to I never had a dead string out of the package. I never had trouble installing the strings. It is weird to hear about people having trouble with them.

9. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Truthfully, I've been playing over 40 years and have maybe 4 bad strings out of the package.
    Two were visible as the wraps weren't even and this was also back in the 70's and I'm sure manufacturing now is far better.
    I read abut this problem so many times on this board, I thought it would be interesting to see if there were any trends.

10. bassopotamus102

bassopotamus102 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Jason,
    you mentioned user error being the culprit. can you explain in further detail? I just ordered two sets from you and I don't want to make any mistakes in installing.

Thanks!

11. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Just buy Elixir.

12. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    Dead meaning broken, cannot hold tune or intonate, or being dissappointed in the tone?

The first two can be objectively measured, but the last one is as subjective as we can get. If it's the last one, I don't think there will be any actionable results from your poll. Out of my 35+ years of buying and playing strings, I cannot point to one manufacturer at all.

Heck, I wouldn't know if it's the string giving me the tone I don't like, or the bass, or a combination of both.

13. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Thomastik-Infeld is missing from the poll.

You only buy one package to be set for life. I guess that automatically disqualifies them!

Edit: In my twelve or so years, I've never even had a single dead string, regardless of the brand. Just to clarify.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  14. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    In nearly 30 years, I’ve never had a dead string in a package. I use Dunlop Super Brights, DR Lo-Riders, and Chromes.

15. I've used Nanowebs on guitar and I like them, but I've never felt the need to buy coated strings for bass. Besides, Elixir's offerings are more limited than most of the major brands: they only sell long and extra-long scale, and they only sell roundwounds (presumably because there's no real need for coating on flats).

16. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    There was a time..and Jason will confirm this because he was my guy, I was working a LOT, playing bright and changing strings every week.
    I've been through a LOT of string sets, bad strings aren't all that uncommon if you run a tone stack that will let you hear it.

More importantly for me was, "what's gonna get done about it?" I have no doubt both Jason and Roger Sadowsky would have taken the strings back and replaced them without question if I had wanted.

I had maybe..8 or so sets of strings come in from Sadowsky through Jason that didn't have the taper on the B string. What the...!!!? dook happens

17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    The brands I use regularly are all very consistent. I've never had a defective string from a construction standpoint, but I've had a few single strings within a set that sounded dull right out of the package with 3 or 4 sets of D'Addario XLs. But considering I've been using them since 1985, that's very good. Plus, I called D'Addario and they quickly sent me new strings each time. Their Customer Support is fantastic.

I've used GHS Boomers for close to 30 years and I've never had a bad string out of the pack. Excellent consistency and quality IMO.

I haven't used Ernie Ball Slinkys quite as long, but I've never had a bad string out of the package in the 18 years or more that I've been using them. EB's quality and level of consistency is also impressive, IMO.

All 3 brands sound great to my ears, all are readily available, and all are reasonably priced.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018