Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which brand is recommended?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ibanezist, Mar 24, 2002.

1. SWR

54 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. Ampeg

49 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. Carvin

9 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. GK

20 vote(s)
    10.8%
  5. Peavey

16 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Mesa

18 vote(s)
    9.7%
  7. Other (explain)

20 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. Ibanezist

Ibanezist

Mar 24, 2002
    I'm not able to test anything out so I need opinions on this. I play the new hard rock music so I need something with alot of low end but still have good crisp sound for slap when I wanna play slap. What brand of amps/speakers would you recommend? SWR, Ampeg, Carvin, GK, Peavey, Mesa

2. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    swr and ampeg maybe

3. Gk will give you most any tone with the help of the contur circut. If your more agressive you may want to look at Ampeg. You can hit the front of the amp harder and get a good driven tone

4. I recently played through a Yammer Head and a SHS Audio Cab(http://www.shsaudio.com)
    The cab I played with was the BD-410, it gave a great tone response and the horn gave me the high end I needed for some slap....

5. Ibanezist

Ibanezist

Mar 24, 2002
    Well I do play pretty agressive and I want something that does a good job of shaking the walls but isn't too expensive for a non-working fellow.

6. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I like Ampeg, but I haven't played through that much SWR or CK.
    If you're on a budget, Peavey will give you the most bang for your buck and can handle a good variety of tones. They're also built like tanks.

And welcome to TB. :)

7. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    i'm a huge fan of gk, but if you're looking for something less expensive, i recommend peavey. their gear is practically indestructable and has a consistent sound. i'd go with peavey over low end ampeg or swr any day. you should consider mixing and matching head and cab brands. you could get a more expensive head and less expensive cab, or vice versa. my gk sounds like a gk through every cab it's been played on. sure, there are subtle differences from cab to cab, but nothing major (excluding a mesa boogie 2x15- ahhhh...). i've had good results with a gk head and peavey cab for a while now, and i don't forsee any complaints other than not having my bi-amp option. carvin heads are good as well, but avoid their cabs/speakers like the plague. just some friendly advice. my friend/former bandmate blew his speakers 3x and is now a loyal supporter of peavey.

8. Ibanezist

Ibanezist

Mar 24, 2002
    Thanks for the Peavey advice, but what about Carvin combo's? They are pretty cheap too and are said to have good tone and power for the price.

9. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    carvin combos have carvin speakers. again, i highly recommend avoiding carvin speakers at all costs. however, this was his experience. i've read posts from quite a few happy carvin customers on tb. if you're going for a carvin combo, i'd recommend the red eye series. the red eye head rocks. how much are you looking to spend?

10. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    i'm off for the night. hopefully someone else can help you out; otherwise, i'll be back tomorrow. peace

11. Ibanezist

Ibanezist

Mar 24, 2002
    Trying to go no more than 600 or 650....I NEED something with at least 100w's for now so I will be able to be heard when practicing with my band. So I want something cheap so I can save up for a good head and cab but be able to use the combo until then, My crate 50w isn't cuttin it for me

12. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    For your style, I would deff go with Ampeg. I have an Ampeg V4BH head. That's only 100 watts, but 100 watts of raw tube power! I think most would agree that the proportion of tube and solid state wattage are totally different. It's a great sounding head and a lot of power, yet not as expensive as a huge SVT. The V4BH pushes my Ampeg SVT15E, which is just a single 15" sub that pushes a lot of low end. I'm just not a fan of 10"s, guitars should cover the high ends in my opinion.
    I got my head that was only used for 2 months (so i got a good deal). a worker from the music shop held it for me, simply because he knew i was looking for one. it turned out that the guy that brought it back in loved it so much, he wanted the SVT for more power (i guess he had the money). so if you know anyone that works at a music shop, i would recommend that you tell them that you are looking for a used one, it may save you some bucks in the long run!:D

13. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Not being able to try different amps is a big handicap. I've recently built my first serious rig, buying gear based on reviews from the net, but the net can't hear for me. I did my homework and I like what I've got, but I've learned a lot about its limitations as I listen to other players' gear.

I am partial to Carvin gear. The Redline heads are a good deal for the money. If you need more power than the R1000 offers, you're better off going with a preamp/power amp rig. The cabs, OTOH, are a question mark.

I don't think the Carvin combos will work for you. The PB series aren't big or powerful enough for a gigging hard rock band. The RC210 doesn't offer anything below about 60 Hz, so you'll need at least an additional 15" or 18" cab to support the bottom end. The Cyclops combo is bulky and heavy, and when I played one at a Carvin store, I couldn't get it to sound like I thought it should.

Acme cabs are priced right and can do the job - I have a pair of Low B-2s and they definitely go deep and cover the whole bass spectrum - but they demand power, and lots of it. I suggest a bare minimum of 1000 W for a pair of Low B-2s, or one Low B-4. Don't even think about Acmes for hard rock if you have less than 300 W. Fortunately big power amps are cheap.

I've been able to try some AccuGroove cabs lately. I think they would do well for your style of music, but they aren't in the same price range as the other gear I've mentioned.

14. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'm a Trace Elliot man through and through!!! However ,getting their stuff now could be hard for a while, and when they do start building again in the States who knows how good their stuff will be!!!! ALso, your budget kinda counts them out anyway.

I was in my local store ,and the bass dude was raving about the new Peavey stuff in terms of value for money compared to the tonal range!!!! A good bang for your buck!!!! Of course that didn't stop him letting me spend £1800 ($2500) on Trace stuff at the end of last year!!!!

If you can't try stuff out it really is an issue. Because everyone who replies will have a mental image of what you play (which may be right or wrong) they'll have a mental image of how that should sound (right or wrong) and will then advise you on what they think you need. Could either be the amps that they have put their hard earned cash into or what they think you need.

Best advice I could give you is take a road trip to where you can try stuff out. Try out as much as you can while your time allows. Get some ideas od what you do and don't like. Then get prices on what you like. Then shop around by phone - try to find the best deal.

Good luck in your amp search!!!

15. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    For about $673 you could get the Gallien-Krueger Backline 250BL (125w @ 8 ohms) with the GK Backline 4 x 10 cabinet (400w handling at 8 ohms). Or if you wanna go even cheaper you could get the 2x10(200w @ 8 ohms) or the 1x15(200 @ 8ohms).

The Backline 250BL has 2 channels a clean and an overdrive channel which might be fitting for your type of music. I recommend getting the 4x10 cabinet as you'll push the most air.

16. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    if you want the most power with the least worries as well as the most consistent sound for that dollar amount, i'm sticking with peavey. try the combo 115. anyone know how much those run for?

edit: also, the suggested road trip would be well worth it. it sounds like you've never played on anything of the choices you've listed. if that's the case, the road trip is practically a necessity. i would never buy something without at least having heard it before. you'll be better off if you play everything, narrow it down, and then a/b until you pick your favorite. see if you can take it for a tryout in a band setting. some gear sounds great when isolated, but is garbage in a band setting (my experience with many el cheapo combos and rigs). some gear may sound ok alone, but shine when in the mix. if you really want to be happy, you've got to play the stuff, period. any other way would be taking a big chance with your cash.

17. There's always that old idea of figuring out what tones you like from various songs and albums and finding out what gear the players use. If you do that remember that most live rigs are different then the rigs someone will use in a studio. You could also get a Bass POD and mess around with the various tones connected to a power amp. There are a couple people using that set up both in the studio and live.

18. Ibanezist

Ibanezist

Mar 24, 2002
    Thanks for the reply's. I can try to search around but I don't have much time on my hands. Anyways, I don't play gigs at the time, what I'm basically saying is I want something to practice with my band with. Something that will give my drummer and guitarist a capability of actually playing full out unstead of backing off for my 50w to push through..hehe.....I'm not being too picky about tone at the time since I really just want a combo, If I wanted tone then I would be gettin an expensive head and cab, but I just need a combo that will get me through practice until I work up some money. So far I think Peavey has won me over considering the price and stats of the TNT115.
    Thanks again for the help! (the poll at the top is just for fun)

19. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I've played through a few Peavey TNT 115 and found them really nice. I did consider buying one at one time. I'm actually thinking about it for practicing and for smaller gigs wheer I don't need or won't be able to use my Trace rig.

I don't think you'll be disappointed and I'm sure that it'll be loud enough for you!

20. Aguilar... like Ampeg just better