Which brand is recommended?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ibanezist, Mar 24, 2002.

1. SWR

54 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. Ampeg

49 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. Carvin

9 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. GK

20 vote(s)
    10.8%
  5. Peavey

16 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Mesa

18 vote(s)
    9.7%
  7. Other (explain)

20 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    EBAY

That's all I have to say.

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I voted ampeg...

But like stated before Aguilar is really nice. However Aquilar gear is pricey.. And you may not like the tone of them. Everyone has their opinions... but Seing as you are limited as to what you can spend, I will Say don't go carvin.. There amps are great, but their speakers aren't so great.

Really give peavey a thought. Peavey has come along way and they make good gear. I have played on a peavey firebass 700 amp through a 4x10 peavey cab.. Lots of tone, good punch.. you can get that setup for less than $1000.. Don't worry about the name if you think peavey is crap.. it'll give you a run for your money

3. fretlesscjl

fretlesscjl

Mar 26, 2002
    St Louis, Mo
    If money is no object Aguilar...
    However Ampeg, is probably your best bet. A BA210SP combo is 200 watts w/ a 2x10 cab, and digital effects. They tend to sell for about $700 plus tax around my area. They sound great, have plenty of power for small gigs and rehearsals, and have an XLR out for running into the PA

4. Ibanezist

Ibanezist

Mar 24, 2002
    Ok, peavey it is, enough said...Thank you all

5. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    For less than $1000 in most cases less than $500 you can pick up a SWR Workingmans 15.
    I got mine for $299.00 Great amp for the money, and should d eliver the tone you are after.

6. Ibanezist

Ibanezist

Mar 24, 2002
    Hey stringray, where did you find it for that cheap?...It's 700 new from music123, musiciansfriend, and american musical supply. I prefer new ones but for only 299 I would make a change in mind.

Oh, and peavey is out of the question, I lifted it one at a store and I don't really feel too good about it's weight.

7. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i didnt vote, cuz my choice isnt up there. i think for the amount of money youre willing to spend, you should try out an eden nemesis combo. theyre 225 watts i believe, you might be able to find one in your price range. theres a 110, 112, 210, 115 and 410 combo. ive tried one, they are nice.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I take it you left Eden off because you knew it would get all the votes and the poll would be useless. You could at least have said something like "If a gargantuan meteor hit the Eden factory, and everyone hurried out and bought up all the remaining stock before you could get over to GC to get yours, what would you buy?"

9. Ibanezist

Ibanezist

Mar 24, 2002
    Hehe, yeah I guess I should of. Actually I hadn't heard about Eden stuff at the time I posted this poll......Sorry.

10. jamminji

jamminji

Mar 22, 2002
    What type and power do your guitarist(s) have... Is your band more then a three piece (bass/drum/guitar).

I have found that bass players need about 10 times the power of the guitar if no one goes through the PA, closer to ten the more guitars/keys there are. So if your guitarist has a 100 watt marshall and likes to crank it, you will be wasting your moeny getting a 100 watt bass amp no matter what type you get.

I picked up a used GK-2000rb (1000watts bridged at 4ohms) for under $600. I know that many people think these are crap amps (and they were in the beginning). You will be fine if you just make sure you get one that shows the serial number which puts the amp manufacture date after about 1997 (that is what mine is). GK went through some updates to fix the early problems and they were pretty much done by '97-'98. Mine only has one fan inside and the GK tech siad that a double fan was the last upgrade. What was great was that even-though I bought the amp used, he said I could send it in and they would fix it uder warranty. As it turns out the fan upgrade is very easy to put in, so they are sending me the parts FREE and I will pop them in myself. I even get a brand new top cover! Which is GREAT since mine has a ding or 2 in it...lol

GK tech support was great!

jam

11. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I voted ampeg. If i had the money i'd own an ampeg rig b/c i think they are great amps. For hard rock i'd also recommend ampeg since they've been used in rock for a loonnnng time. However, i don't have that kinda cash and currently have a Fender Bass Man 200 [200watts @ 4 ohms through a 15] & it handles pretty much everything i throw at it. thats all

12. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I prefer ford.

some guys like chevy.

some guys like dodge.

but i like ford.

13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

No, a watt is a watt. A tube watt is less consistent, at that.

Not to mention that it requires more upkeep in replacing tubes.

I suggest Peavey. I've looked into G-K, Ampeg, SWR, Mesa, Eden, as well as quite a few other companies.

I've yet to find a sound that I like better. I don't mean this for the price, I mean this a strictly tonal judgement. G-K offers a comparable sound to the Firebass, but comes at the cost of reliability and less versatility.

The only true way to find what you want is to go out and try out as many combos/heads/cabs as you possibly can.

14. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
    The kind that sounds good to you in your ears.How can someone else tell you what you like?Sound is in the ear of the beholder!

15. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    Johnny
    Would the Peavey TNT be OK for a room for up to 100 people with keyboard/drums/vocal and Sax.
    What do you think of a Peavey 2X 10 on its own

16. jamminji

jamminji

Mar 22, 2002
    One 2-10 might be heard but forget about getting any kind of solid low end. The only way to get a solid low end is to move alot of air, and a 2-10 just does not move enough. I saw tony levin at a club that would be PACKED at 300. He used a 2-10 and a 1-15 but it was only for stage monitoring. He went through the PA and he had a great sound.

jam

17. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland
    If you are in situation where you don't have much cash ATM but will invest more in future(well, who woulden't get GAS ever), perhaps get some small, cheap amp for rehearsals for now? I believe Peavey TNT would be nice for you, especially if you get the BW-version. I own the older TNT130, it's quite solid and gives out nice volume for it's 130 watts.

Perhaps you could get the TNT now, and when you get bigger gigs, get a DI box like Tech21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI for getting nice direct sound into PA system and use your amp as monitor?

18. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I see that most people who post here don't care to take a look at the previous posts or the posts of the author to get a thought of what the criterias (the author wrote) are for the amp, they just go ahead and post which is their favourite amp. I think this is totally useless.

So, Ibanezist, here's for you: GK Backline 250 BL.
    125 watts, 8 ohm and it's not at all heavy; nice tone, lots of low end - I have one, so believe me, it sounds good. If you find a used 410 or 115, you can save more $ but be careful with used cabs.
    The problems with the Gk are, however, that it has some parts built in that are not of too high quality: I had to have the input jack changed and now there are problems with the overdrive:( :mad: - but as I have a 1-year guarantee, it's more of a problem for the store where I bought it.:D

I hope I'm not too late - think this over, man

19. I voted Mesa because that new MPulse 600 is crazy! I played it with a Thumb 5'r. So the lows were shaking the place and the highs were nice and smooth with plenty of sustain. And I have yet to find a working (not a Workinmans) SWR. Ampeg is great but it just doesn't get as low. So if you don't care about the lows, its Ampeg. I also haven't played Eden yet.:(

20. I would suggest a combo from either SWR in the workingman's series or something like a small ampeg combo for your type of music.

IF YOUR BAND USES A PA YET........USE IT. Run throught the pa if that's possible.

TOO GET OVER YOUR GUITAR PLAYER AND DRUMMER YOUR GOING TO NEED AT LEAST 200-250W.......minimum. Otherwise, I would try to get the guitar to turn down if possible. Some of them won't but still :), you need to get over the drums.

That's my two sense. The SWR and ampeg are very easy to move. (the swr has frickin wheels mounted in them.)

Good luck, kick some ass........
    -insighted

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2022