Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which brands does Samick produce?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Drake, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Lets get a list of what samick produces here... Like what other brands they build for... I am curious..

either a link or a typed list should suffice... thanks...

later

drake

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    This is more of a "Basses" forum question.

Moved.

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Epiphone, I know that one for sure (BTW, didn't Gibson buy part or all of Samick?)
    -Dan

4. THANK YOU!, I'm sick of Samick being disrespected! they are the manafacturers of all Korean Washburns, Ibanez, Groove Tools, and plenty others. Virtually EVERY Korean bass is made my Samick. The new cheaper PRS are made by Samick as well.:mad:

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    my Ibanez BTB is from Samick :eek: tell me it isnt so!

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wrong!, in the case of Groove Tools and Ibanez. They are made in the Core-Tek factory, along with Cort, Cort-Curbow, and a lot of other good Korean basses. IME the stuff that comes out of the Core-Tek factory is far superoir to the Samick stuff.

7. Embellisher is dead right. As well as the ones he mentioned, they do Vantage, Spector, and others.
    Their quality has improved out of sight in the last 2 or 3 years, way better than the Samick stuff, which includes Epiphone, Samick, Valley Arts, Star, Rogue, I think Carlo Robelli, PRS,(there's nothing wrong with those), and probably many more. Samick is indeed the largest guitar manufacturer in the world, producing more than every other manufacturer put together! That is true and verifiable.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    If that's true, and knowing Gibson's track record on companies they bought in the past, The Gibson Samicks will leave splinters in player's hands! :D :( :rolleyes:

Imagine the ad: "Wanted: Pre-Gibson Samick":p

9. So if I understand correctly, the Core-Tek factory made my '99 Spector NS2000-5?

I love this bass, I get people coming up to the stage asking about it all the time, h'ver since it's not one of the USA or Czech made Spectors I have always gotten the vibe here at TB that it's just so-so.

So this Core-Tek factory is the best there is over in Korea ? I would like to believe so, as considering that this bass was made in Korea, I still can not find fault with it after two years playing it. After some of the things that I have read here in comparing them to the USA & Czech made Spectors.. I thought I had a one off freak.

No doubt the USA & Czech made Spectors are incredible...wish I had one! But I have always stood firm that just because the Spector NS2000 line of basses are made in Korea, they are not that bad...:)

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    OK, so who built my Korean DeArmond Starfire? It's great!

11. So this means that the bass I'm always trying to get everyone to buy is really the Samick Jack Casady Signature? :confused:

O.K. I've had a moment to think. If this is true, so what? If one day you discovered your favorite bass was not made by who you thought it was, would that matter?

If Samick makes Epiphone, and all the others you guys say they do, then I say, Bully for Samick!

Mike J.

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Originally posted by RIZ:

So if I understand correctly, the Core-Tek factory made my '99 Spector NS2000-5?

I love this bass, I get people coming up to the stage asking about it all the time, h'ver since it's not one of the USA or Czech made Spectors I have always gotten the vibe here at TB that it's just so-so.

Hey RIZ, I too am impressed with the Korean Spectors. I have a REX2000/5 that I've had a few months now that has really impressed me! I have also owned a Czech NS5-CR for a couple of years, and to me it's the best bass ever!!! The Korean Spector comes very close in almost every way, the only slight downs are the palstic nut (the Czech one is brass) and the finish has a few small dings in it (only if you catch them in the light at the correct angle) whereas the Czech ones finish is immaculate!!

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I disagree with Embellisher (probably a first), I think the Samick factory is doing great work. Maybe Cort is doing better on average, but there's some really nice stuff coming out of Samick.

They also make Dean and DeArmond I think, and my Dean Edge 5 impresses me every time I play it. Two of my brothers got closeout DeArmond Pilots, one is a Pilot Pro, which has a neck with the exact same 5 piece maple/walnut construction as my Dean. I also saw the same kind of neck on a MIK ESP neck-through the other day at Guitar Center. Neato.

And I've played some actual "Samick" brand basses that I liked as well! Samick is definitely doing some good work IMO.

Who makes the Schechter Diamon Series guitars? They are darn nice!

14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I don't believe Fender (DeArmond) uses the Samick plant.

15. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I think I remember reading somewhere (maybe even on this BB) that Oriental Fenders and DeArmonds were produced at the same plants as the Ibanez guitars.

As far as Epiphones are concerned, these ARE made by Samick and not of the quality of the stuff that is made by Cort. Think about all the Epi "second", "used" and "blems" you see. They are labeled such for a reason. I have personally taken chances on a couple of these marked "used", a Rivoli (that it turned out that the tone controls didn't work but was fairly easy fix as the leads were attached backwards) and a Casady (that it turned out that one position of the 'tone choke' doesn't work...and try finding another of these, it is impossible! If any one can get me a complete Casady wiring harness that works right, PLEASE let me know!) I also have an Epi Les Paul 5 that the multi switch didn't work right, but as this was "new" Gibson fixed it, but when I spoke to them on the phone, they commented on how backed up they were in Epi warrenty work.

As far as the Schecters, I have seen a lot of "Model T"s on ebay recently, and have noticed that they all seem to have a visable defect. Usually the pickups are not centered under the strings. Sometimes the sunbursts are way off. This is stuff that shouldn't happen if a company has any pride in their name.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They did not make the DeArmonds, I believe that was Core-Tek as well. I thought that the Dean's were also made by Core-Tek, since they are so similar to the Korean Spectors.

17. Your nut is PLASTIC? That's weird. Mine is polished brass. Then again, I don't know what is used on the Korean Rex's as far as the nut mat'l is concerned.

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow, I wasn't disagreeing with the esteemed Embellisher, I was simply misinformed! Cool!

I have played a couple Samick branded basses that I've liked.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So who's making the Skylines?

20. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    I guess Skylines are made by Cort, as they have the same Bart MK1 electronic as Cort Artisan series.