which brands retain their "new string" sound the longest in you're opinion?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Triclops, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    :meh: .................
  2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

DR has a good reputation for this, I'd agree with it.
  3. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Dr's have a much brighter initial sound, that wears off in a couple weeks. The sound they develop after that, which is still plenty bright, lasts for months and months.....about six months IME.
  4. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    dr eh? hmmmm.....what about Ernie Ball super slinkys?
  5. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I'm a Stingray guy. I have an original and an OLP knockoff. I USED to use super slinkys...until I tried DR's. I don't think I will ever find a sting I like better - SERIOUSLY! I use DR Sunbeams, but others like the hibeams or some other version. Just make sure and follow the directions in the box - put a kink in them just below where you cut them to prevent them from unwinding.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Used to be a DR guy. Im converting to Ernie Balls now. I used to use stainless DRs but ive grown tired of the super pingy tone they gave me in the high registers. Nickel strings have much warmer highs, and Ernie Balls nickels are great.
  7. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Figjam - have you tried the DR nickels? Sunbeams and Lo-Riders are the two types of DR nickels. I use DR Sunbeams, which are compresion wound on round cores. Lots of folks like the Lo-Riders, which are wound on Hexagonal cores.
  8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I put a set of EB Slinkys on my Lull M5V and they kept their "zing" for over a month. For me, this is more of a lifespan that I'm accustomed to. I was very impressed with their lifespan.

I'm more of a D'Addario guy, so when my Slinkys went dead I replaced them with the D'Addario XL170-5SL set. I was surprised the XL's didn't sound quite as bright right out of the package compared to the Slinkys when they were new.

But I prefer the XL's tension and I like the sound of it's B-string better. I'll most likely keep using the D'Addario's, they're my favorite brand of strings.
  9. basseuphoria

May 19, 2005
    peavey cirrus nickels. came w/ my bass when i bought it last april. still using them and still have all the 'zing' i could ask for and my hands are super sweaty.
  10. agplate

Jan 12, 2005
    New England
    In my experience, EB Slinkys are really good when you get a good set made on a good day. However, they seem to be more prone to having a dead string in the set or like my most recent set, were all virtually dead on arrival. But I've also had very long lasting Slinkys too. I feel they are very hit and miss in their initial quality. I'm now trying DR's for the first time today on my Stingray and Bongo. Will give you my experience later.
  11. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    Owner: Bass Direct
    I have just started using DR's and so far seem to be getting good milage out if them - expensive but last well. There are a few different types so get some info first for your choice.
  12. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Definitely Elixir!
  13. ge9375

Sep 5, 2004
    Whatever came with my Ibanez-SRX705 seems to have not degraded much.

My guess is that everyone's fingers "contribute" differently to the strings. Is it possible that one persons's long-lasting strings might be something that loses its tone quickly for another? I wash my hands right before playing whenever possible, and I believe that helps. For me, the asnwer is NOT Dean Markley Blue Steel..... I LOVE those strings fresh, but they don't stay fresh very long.....
  14. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    I think some of the longest lasting strings I've ever played are Dean Markley Blue Steels.
  15. ge9375

Sep 5, 2004
    Don't get me wrong, the Blue Steels last for me, they just lose that out-of-the-box flair after about 4 weeks. After that, they get dull maybe 6 months later. (Maybe I've got grimy fingers).
  16. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nope. Ive tried sadowsky nickels which are hex core also.
  17. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I've actually noticed that the Blue Steels don't stay bright for too long.
  18. chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    DR Hi Beams and DR Lo Riders
  19. chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    They dont DR HIbeams are similar, but keep the new sound longer and just sound better to begin with i think
  20. chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    www.stringdeals.com is the cheapest ive found online