Which Brice 6 string ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazybassplyr, Sep 7, 2004.

Which Brice 6 string ?

Poll closed Sep 14, 2004.
  1. HXB-406

2. Z

3. V2

1. I am looking into picking up a 6 string to cure some G.A.S. and I would appreciate opinions on these basses:
    1) Brice HXB-406
    2) Brice Z
    3) Brice V2
    I currently own the V2 fretless 5 and love it, but a little variety in body shape and color would be nice for the 6 i finally decide on.
    I am partial to the blue V2 and the natural HXB (although the black is not to shabby either).
    What I really want to know however, is how do these basses stand up against each other concerning tone, feel, over-all construction, etc.?
    Thanks for your help.
  2. I can't really post an opinion on the basses but I'd like to ask you what the V2 fretless is like. So...what's the V2 fretless like?
  3. I am far from being an "expert" but I think the V2 fretless is a great bass. very comfortable and nicely balanced with powerful active pups that give a nice variety of tones.
    Mine did come to me with a few buzz spots on the neck, but they are very minor - nothing a good tweak of the set up would not take care of.
    Another thing, the bass has a volume for each pup AND one blend control - thats a little odd but again, nothing to worry about (imho).
    The strings that came with it will need to be replaced, they are pretty rough feeling (round wound?) and I am concerned with neck wear on the "soft" rosewood finger board - at least until I get the board coated with polyurathane(sp?) or epoxy.
    The bass looks great. Very nice smooth and glossy finish, and I swear the thing changes color in different light - sometimes its black, sometimes a really cool brownish color, sometimes a deep kind of green - very cool.
    Definately better than my MIM Jazz that I payed 3 times as much for.
    My advice..buy one!! keep in mind that it only cost you $150 plus shipping and you will love it. :hyper:
  4. Hmmm....Maybe I should lie and say that I am a girl, I would have over 100 replys by now.
  5. I haven't played any of these basses, but if it was my money, I'd go with the Z. I probably will get a Zbass int he next few months.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You could try searching through the SX megathread. Lots of Brice posts in there.
  7. Thanks, but I tried that already. I did not find anything really comparing the three different basses. That thread is so big that it can sort of be like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.
  8. Thanks Bassman, but what are you "bass-ing" that decision on?
  9. Holy crap, I hate puns......

Anyway, my main reason for choosing the Z is that it has a wider fingerboard. It also seems to have a bigger, heavier bridge and a seven-bolt neck joint.
  10. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I voted for the V2 which is the instrument I own (in fretless).

Reasons are:

1) HXB's that I saw in person had really weak finishes that were literally rubbed offf of the floor demos.
    2) Z's list at $329 and while cheap, for that kind of scratch, you can get into name brands (second hand)
    3) The V2 lists at $199 while they are still available. They are real quilted maple tops and are well finished (heave clear lacquer over wood). While it does have its quirks, compared to the other 2 models and the whole 6-string market, still the best value IMO.

One additional comment. I have not yet played a Z bass, but I was shocked at how good the Rondo models are and I would not surpirsed if you got $900 worth of bass for $329. If you can get to Rondo, get there and play 'em all. That is the best way to make your decision.

Good luck.
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Like rogerbmiller, I own a V2 and I have been to Rondo to see and play these basses in person. I completely agree with what he wrote above, particularly regarding the HXB finishes. They have a "rubbed oil" style matte finish that looks nice, but IMO does not look nearly as good as the painted/laquered V2 and Z. Also, once you start talking Z numbers you're getting into Dean Edge 6 territory. The Dean Edge 6 is a much better bass than a Rondo Import, I've had my Edge 5 and V2 side by side and while the V2 is serviceable and usable, it's no Edge. :bassist:

Maybe someone who went to my recent DC area talkbass gathering can comment on my Edge 6. Mine was a floor model with a neck that desparately needed tweaking that I got for only $167 + tax.
    Totally agree. It would take days to go through that monstrosity. Maybe we need a "Brice Megathread", could this be it??
  12. Thanks for all your advice guys, I appreciate it.

So is the HXB a "better" bass (except for the finish) compared to the V2?

Would there be anything I could do to protect the finish on an HXB if I was to get one?

The Z is so far comming in last on my list. I am not really crazy about the body shape and size; however, if the Z is a considerably "better" bass than the other two I could definately deal with the cosmetic concerns that I have. And yes, I am looking into Dean 6'ers because of the narrow price difference, looking at Curbows as well (used).

Any further words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Actually going to Rondo is not an option for me, I am relying solely on the advice I get here and the pictures on their web site.
  13. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Further words are:

I played a Cort Curbow 4 and was utterly unimpressed. I am sure their 6 would be a disaster.

If you are not adverse to buying used, for $300 you could probably do some real damage. Look into used Peavy 6 strings (any models) and Ibanez 6 Strings, Washburns JOhnsons and Copleys. All are in that price range and I think Johnsons and Copleys are in that range brand new.

Finally, there is Mr. Potato Bass.
  14. Ahh, the ever-mysterious Mr. Potato. Has anyone on this massive board ever actually played one? Also, I agree with you on the Curbow. I have played a few, and they all sound like crap to me. And as for Peavey basses, I don't know about their Fury line, but the Grind BXP basses that I've played have been terrible.
  15. I think thats a good idea. Actually a megathread for each bass manufacturer would be helpful; one for Fender, one for Ibanez, Pedula, etc...
  16. This is the first I have heard of Mr. Potato, did a search but came up with very little, they look nice but looks can be decieving.
    I have not had the opportunity to play a Grind yet, but the furies I have tried at a local shop I did not really care for.
    Man, this is alot to think about...my head is starting to hurt...
  17. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Neither is "better", they are equal in quality. The HXB has an active EQ circuit and passive pickups. The V2 has active pickups and a passive EQ. Philosophically I prefer the latter, but everyone has different preferences in this area. What are yours?
    I wouldn't think that anything would be necessary. The finish is not so fragile that it's going to look bad, it will just wear that's all. The finish on the Z and V2 is very impressive.
    I love the look of the Z personally, I really like it a lot. The bridge looks considerably improved over the cheap (but serviceable!) one on the V2. I have tried some Cort Curbows and even though they're not my cup of tea stylistically I've been pretty impressed. The Z has two more bolts in the neck joint than the V2, and one more than the HXB. I think the 5 bolt V2 pattern is quite sufficient.

The Edge 6 is priced at about $500 new on many online stores. Significantly more expensive than either of these basses. There may be other 6 strings worth looking at in that price range. I don't know about that, I do know that everything, tuners, bridge, pickups, workmanship, etc. is going to be a significant step up, but it better be for $2-300 more, right!!

Also, I would echo the above comment regarding Peavey. If you can find a used Axcellerator, they go for about $300 and one of those (made in USA, top shelf parts) would absolutely SMOKE anything you'll find in a six string for under a grand.
  18. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I realize you're getting mixed messages from my posts... :)

Hey I recently wanted to go to a 6 string myself for very inexpensive and after weighing the options for months I ended up with a V2 6 and I love it. So in the "put your money where your mouth is" category that's where I am. :)
  19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    So is the only issue on the HXB's the weak finish?
  20. Good question.
    They are so cool looking, it might be worth the chance. :bassist: