Which bridge and neck pu, preamp for a new 6 string

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mr M, Mar 22, 2002.

1. I desperately need help about buying pickup.

I know barely nothing about pu's. I tried to make a search but well I'm a lazy guy and I couldn't find what I'm looking for after a short search. Here is what I need, thanks for your suggestions :cool:

I'll have a new 6 string bass built. I'll invest quite a good amount for me for pu and preamp (~$300-400). I play both fingerstyle and with a pick. I don't slap often but do lots of tapping. I play in a heavy rock band.
    As it will affect the tone more details about the bass: The body of the bass will be figured maple top on alder and the neck ebony fretboard on maple. The bridge will be a Carvin/Hipshot with 3.2" from B to C, string pitch 16 mm (I think it will affect the model as there are some for wider spacing) . 34" scale, 24 frets..

What tone I'm after? Not too fat, not to metallic. I'd like to have all notes to be even, not just a feeling deep down the music or not a guitar like thin sound.

I think going with active pu's but open for ideas.
    It will probably be soapbar (I think there are also some thin width pu's as J's, haven't see P style for 6 string before). Probably humbucker but open for your suggestions..
    No piezzo pu.

I don't know anything about what single-coil, etc means. Just heard the names but don't have a clue about paralel-serial thing. Would you enlighten me? Links for past threads are OK but it will be great to have answers as it's sometimes better to repeat (because there can always be additions)

OK a little bit long but I tried to include everything, what pu and preamp should I go with for the price range and given specs? Which brand, which model? Bart, Bassline, EMG, etc? Thanks a lot...

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am getting Bartolini soapbars in my custom 6. I am also getting a Bartolini active preamp. Bartolini is a more "organic" natural sounding pickup. You can get a wide range of tones from them, and they seem to be very well suited for rock. They lack the high end snap and crispness of EMG's though.
  3. Thanks for the reply Ajbassking..
    What is the difference between a Bartolini P2 and P4? Would you go with Bartolini P2 or M4? The distances written here (like ...covers 72 to 88mm) are they the distances at the bridge from B to C or at where the pickups will be?

(I've seen that there are P style pu's for 6 strings as well at the Bartolini web page)

I'd like to see more opinions and suggestions. In setup forum I've got valuable information before but for pu's... C'mon! Is there anybody out there... there.... there....there (the echo in an empty thread room)

Edited to add questions on Bartolini's
  4. Still desperately waiting for the replies...

If my first question is too general here is more specific one: What is the difference between a Bartolini P2 and P4? Would you go with Bartolini P2 or M4?
  5. Up for another try!