Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which bridge for my 75 J?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I have a stock 75 J bass that is alder body and rosewood neck. My bridge messed up and I need a new one or to get this one fixed. Is it worth putting a new one on? Does it improve anything at all?

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    That would depend on what is wrong with the old one. Either way I would hang on to the old one.

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    take a look at a Badass 2

4. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    I have '72 jazz and I put a badass II on it (kept the original one!). It didn't require any drilling it was a perfect fit. It's mass adds more sustain than the stock bridge. Easy to adjust for intonation and string height. Forgot what I paid for it but I'm thinking it was about $75.00 in 1990.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would try to get your bridge repaired. If you have to get a new one, I would recommend a Fender replacement of the same design. I think high mass bridges are subtly different than the original low mass fender design, and I prefer the sound and feel of the low mass Fender bridge for an original Fender bass. But that's just my preference, others love the high mass stuff and I have high mass bridges on a couple of my Fender style basses myself.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I like stock bridges on older Fenders myself. Keeps them sounding like Fenders.

7. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Another vote for the stock bridge.

8. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I like Badass bridges,
    but on an original 75' Jazz I would have to say keep it stock.

9. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    When I was restoring my '75 Jazz, a bought Fender's original bridge - it's the only way to keep the sound of a '70s Fender.