which bridge for my 75 J?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I have a stock 75 J bass that is alder body and rosewood neck. My bridge messed up and I need a new one or to get this one fixed. Is it worth putting a new one on? Does it improve anything at all?
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    That would depend on what is wrong with the old one. Either way I would hang on to the old one.
  3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    take a look at a Badass 2
  4. Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    I have '72 jazz and I put a badass II on it (kept the original one!). It didn't require any drilling it was a perfect fit. It's mass adds more sustain than the stock bridge. Easy to adjust for intonation and string height. Forgot what I paid for it but I'm thinking it was about $75.00 in 1990.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would try to get your bridge repaired. If you have to get a new one, I would recommend a Fender replacement of the same design. I think high mass bridges are subtly different than the original low mass fender design, and I prefer the sound and feel of the low mass Fender bridge for an original Fender bass. But that's just my preference, others love the high mass stuff and I have high mass bridges on a couple of my Fender style basses myself.
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I like stock bridges on older Fenders myself. Keeps them sounding like Fenders.
  7. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Another vote for the stock bridge.
  8. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I like Badass bridges,
    but on an original 75' Jazz I would have to say keep it stock.
  9. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    When I was restoring my '75 Jazz, a bought Fender's original bridge - it's the only way to keep the sound of a '70s Fender.