Which builder for a fretless piezo 6???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slombovia, Sep 9, 2004.

1. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    I have a Carvin fretless 6 that needs to retire. The magnetic pups and all elex are removed. It just has an ABM piezo bridge which sounds awesome thru my Raven Labs PMBII and Mesa WalkAbout BUT
    - 1) the ABM piezos are quite finicky and unreliable volume and tone-wise and
    - 2) I now have an Elrick fretted 6 which with the wider neck, string spacing, and longer 35" scale just makes the Carvin feel too small. I believe in muscle memory and I am finding that the more I play the Elrick, the more I have to pay attention to intonation on the 34" Carvin rather than muscle memory hitting it right from the start.

So... what about another Elrick? Anybody ever play a fretless Elrick 6 with piezos? Or how about the Surine - Regency is it? Or maybe a Michael Dolan custom? I might consider a Rob Allen but I prefer 2 octave necks. Anybody have any other thoughts? Jack Read? I think Conklins are too heavy. I would like 10 lbs or less. I would like it under $3000 US so Foderas and other 5K and up basses are out.

Oh, and what about these European builders that BP reviewed a while back? Manne? And what was that headless one that actually had a condenser mic inside a cavity with spruce top??? The one with the crazy neck extension on the bass side that keeps you from wrapping your thumb around the top? BP's review of the tone of that one impressed me. Might have been too pricey - can't recall. Any comments appreciated.

Many thanks for your time and input as I start this quest!

Tom H.
  2. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    It was the Bassline Worp. Very unique instrument! Anyway, my mind is open to suggestions.

Thanks again,
    Tom H.
  3. pm me if u wanna sell ur carvin
  4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
  5. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    email Darrin Huff or go to his website at www.dhuffguitars.com. he makes the greates basses ever. they tip the scales at about $3200 fo a 6er if i'm not mistaken.
  6. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Hanewinckel is an excellent builder who makes quite a few RMC piezofied basses. I haven't tried one of his piezo basses, but the quality on my vintage fusion is top-notch.
  7. Nordstrand

Any one of those would be an outstanding instrument.
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Rob Elrick makes world class fretlesses. I have two, a custom semihollow NJS 5 with piezo bridge and Bart soapbar and a singlecut 5 with his standard Bart J package. Both great fretlesses IMO. My Brubaker singlecut K5B Custom fretless rounds out my trio of favorites. Either way you'd end up with an excellent fretless.
  9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Someone around here has a fretted Hanewinkel 6 with just piezos. They also have sound clips. I wish I could remember their web site. They'll be by sooner or later I'm sure.
  10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
  11. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    :) Thanks a lot for all the comments.

Any further ideas or experiences appreciated as well, of course.

Tom H.
  12. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I would check out F-bass. The Alain Caron six is pretty happening right out of the box. A less expensive option would be to get a fretless F with the Piezo option.
  13. MaHei

Dec 24, 2002
    Joe Zon is well known for his excellent fretless basses and he offers piezo pickups as an option. My guess, a new sixer would be slightly over 3000$, maybe 3200?
  14. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I'll second the Hanewinckel nod. I have a fretless six with RMC piezos. Verrrry nice.

I also hear you about the ABM/Shadow piezos. I have them in my fretted six and they're pretty disappointing.
  15. MaHei

Dec 24, 2002
    Slombovia, you said the ABM piezos were quite finicky. You might want to check out the lightwave system as an alternative to piezos.
  16. funkmuffin

Aug 18, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Check out www.stambaughdesigns.com. Chris' workmanship is second to none, and on a par with some of the better known boutique builders out there, with considerably lower prices.

My Stambaugh is awesome! I'd highly recommend him to anyone. He'll go from fairly standard to COMPLETELY custom. Mine's even got custom neck dimensions and profile. He put ABM piezo's in for me, but would probably install anything you requested.
  17. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Thanks for all the tips, but fickle old me, I went and bought a New York Bass Works custom Deep Jazz fretless 6 with no piezos!

Boy, am I glad I did. The woods are such superb tone woods, the construction so elegant and SOLID, and the TI Jazz flats do their usual magic that I have a wonderfully organic, expressive instrument without the piezo headaches.

Dave Segal at NYBW makes superior instruments. This one is my dream fretless. I like it so well, I want a fretted 6 from him now, too!

Tom H.

Check it out! :hyper: