Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Cab? Aguilar, Acme, EA or Flitesound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jzucker, Feb 13, 2005.

1. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm looking for a small cab (approx 40lbs). I plan to use it for jazz and some funk stuff. For louder gigs I'll pair it up with one of my raezer's edge cabs but for most gigs I'm hoping the single cab will be sufficient (mostly small clubs).

I'm thinking of the Acme B1, EA cxl 110, Aguilar GS110 or Flitesound 12H.

Any thoughts?

P.S.

I'm a guitarist primarily and already own a Clarus SL/R which I'll be using for bass too...

2. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I'm a BIG fan of EA cabs. I use a couple CXL112s. For your use (and since the CXL110 has been discontinued), I'd recommend the EA Wizzy 112. It's very light weight, very efficient and is a 4 ohm cab which will allow you to get the most out of your amp.
    Just my thoughts.

3. Check out the Schroeder cabs.

4. I'm a Flite guy, but haven't heard the 1/12. But I would imagine it would be great. I've used the 1/15 with mid and it works great for smaller gigs. I'm playing a 6 string so I haven't tried the 2/10 on it's own. But use them together when I need the power and it's there for sure. I've never had to turn the power amp above 2 o'clock. Also each cab only weighs in at 28lbs. Most gigs big or small I take both, it just sounds so great together. :) And they are small in size, and can carry both cabs in 1 trip.
    Dirk

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You left out an important player in the market you are shopping in.....Epifani. I am a recent Epifani convert. Epifani cabs are awesome. Spend the money, and get a UL 112.

-Mike

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Although the Cxl-110 has been discontinued, There are some available.

7. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I would check out the Berg 112's as well... :)

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Pretty much any EA cab in your size/weight range (and there are a number of options) are going to be a great option, IMHO. The Wizzy would be at the top of my list, but the CxL-110 isn't a bad choice, either. I slightly prefer the VL-110, though. The VL-208 is a bit heavier (and hard to find), but is a tremendously good cab.

The suggestion for a Bergantino HT112 is also a worthy consideration. What Raezer's Edge cab do you have? What about a RE Bass 10 or Bass 12? The Hevos Midget is another stunningly good small cab. Or check out those amazing 8" equipped cabs from Don at Low Down Sound.

Tom.

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass Jack! Why don't you tell us a little more about what bass you'll be using, and how many musicians you'll be playing with. My impression is that the Wizzy would sound nice paired with the Raezer's Edge cabs I've heard, but I'm unsure if impedance/sensitivity issues would create any problems.

I'm personally very content with the EA CxL-112 for electric upright, especially in jazz settings.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    why hello there, jack!

good to seeya on these parts. FYI, 1x10 only does so much in any setting. many lack the low end booty that says "bass", and not "thick guitar string". the little acme definitely has a great bottom end for a little cab, but because of its low sensitivity, it wont be very loud.

and it is important to remark what sort of sound do you want? vintage and dark, or hifi and clear?

a better bet, IMHO, would be a pair of 1x12 cabs, which equal in volume to a 4x10. when its low volume time, simply pull out only one.

Aguilar's GS112's are a fav around these parts and very affordable. used even. smooth, fat, scooped vintage sound.

wanna scale up? Epifani makes an incredibly lightweight (i.e. 30 lbs.) cab that's carried the refined, articulate boutique bass sound for years. its the lightest, loudest, and one of the sweeter 1x12's i've used.

Jim Bergantino makes IMHO one of the most gorgeous and glossiest sounding cabs. thx to his uber cool tweeters, his HT112's have a thick, gooey, syrupy high end that sets it apart from most other cabs.

then there's EA's CXL112 and Accugroove's Tri112. both offer a more hifi, flat, studio monitor like bass sound that's not only the sound of your bass, just louder i.e. "mini PA system" like sound, and both can go very low, each hitting about 38-39 hz, which is great for a meatie low B action. the EA is also one of the most punchie 1x12's i've ever encountered. like a good kick to the chest.

again, all of these cabs, except for the 30 lbs. Epifani, all weigh about 39 lbs. carry wise, the Accugroove and EA's are my fav, thx to their recessed handles which make the carry SOOOOO much easier. this unlike the Epifani and Bergantino which use the more convention straps that while fine to many, pale once you've gone with the recessed handles setup.

but like we say over on the gear page, just have to try 'em.

11. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    To answer some questions, I'm a jazz/fusion guitarist (you can hear some of my stuff at http://www.sheetsofsound.net).

I'm using a Lakland 44-01 bass and doing jazz/fusion/funk stuff. I'm currently running a Clarus SL/R through a Raezer's Edge S-12 and NY8 which is a guitar setup. Sounds good at low volumes but I'm afraid I'll blow the speakers doing slapping/popping at higher gain.

I've heard that the Acme is very inefficient and along with the design of the Clarus and it's lower output at 8 ohms I probably need a more efficient speaker.

Rick Jones of Acoustic Image (Clarus) recommended the Epifani or Bergi if I need high volume efficiency.

I don't mind spending the bucks on the 12" Epifani cab but I have a couple questions. Does the Ultralight sound as good as the regular model (probably not, I'm assuming). Also, has anyone run synth or nylon string guitar through these cabs? It would help justify the cost if I could also use the cabs for guitar...

Jaz

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Joker and I generally tend to agree on such matters, and I am fully in the EA, Accugroove, Epifani or Bergantino camp. Or ACME, if you have a lot of juice to throw at them. Any of these cabs could do you well. With regard to the Epifani cabs, the UL series do not sound "worse" at all. They have a slightly different sound, more upper mids than lower mids by comparison, but are very close in overall tonality, and just as "good." Tremendous sound for the weight involved.

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Also, has anyone run synth or nylon string guitar through these cabs? It would help justify the cost if I could also use the cabs for guitar...

I've run my guitar synth through the CxL-112, and it's great for that. I'm sure it would be really good for nylon string guitar as well. It's really along the lines of a studio monoitor, as joker said. The Berg 12 sounded like it would be great for traditional jazz guitar, but I only heard it for a minute or so. It sounded considerably warmer and darker when EQ'd flat than the CxL does, using my fretless bass. It seemed to me that the CxL could cop the Berg thing more readily by EQ than the other way around.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm,

that puts a whole spin on things. for that, i'd mostly liked go with either an Acme 2x10 cab or the EA / Accugroove option. again, both are almost like mini PA systems to me, and if i'm not mistaken, TomB actually ran sound using his EA cabs at one point.

and like Tom said, the UL's are just sound different. they have a more upfront middle midrange with a faster feel, while the regular NYC's sound more sucked in @ the midrange that gives it a bigger low end kinda feel. also, its more basscentric voicing might give you some "woofy" problems with your hollow archtop.

but what are you gigging situations like? how loud is everyone else, i.e. your drummer? is your highest volume gig an ear plugs kinda affair, or not? are your venues mostly lounges, small jazz clubs kinda places?

15. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    One group I play with on guitar is at the ear-plug volume level but I'm probably 6 months of practicing away from doing that gig on bass. I'd like to be able to play with a fusion/funk drummer and not have the bass setup fart-out...

The "doubling" on guitar isn't required for the cab. It's a nice to have if it comes for free or for a few bucks more.

Re: the neodynmium speakers, if they're similar to the guitar n/d speakers, they are likey somewhat peaky . The guitar n/d speakers tend to give me ear fatique very quickly...

Is that what flitesound is using?

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I have, in fact, used my EA cabs for PA, and they sound so good that I pretty much running our own sound at all of our shows. The VL-series are especially good. They sound great on everything - bass, guitar, vocals, drums, you name it. The CxL-112 seems to really shine as a keyboard cab, too.

17. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    It's not the magnet, but the application

18. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    No, it's not the application it's the magnet. The problem is that the audio response is completely different with a neo magnet. It's just like switching over from alnico to ceramic magnets in a pickup. All other design parameters change.

19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Right! - application. If a company is sticking a different driver (any kind) in an existing cabinet without compensating for different components then they are not doing justice to their name.

The midrange hump, that many neo speakers have, come from certain manufacturers and certain designs. The proprietary Neo drivers in the EA cabinets, don't have that hump

Mike

20. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks for clarifying. By application, I thought you meant the music and not the design. I agree with you. In the case of guitar, the speakers are typically used in an infinite baffle (open back) so your design parameters are limited. It is in the open back cab design that the n/d speakers sound harsh and fatiguing to my ears. I would guess that standard cabinet design may not be able to fully take into account the effect of the n/d speaker given the limitation in cone design.

Regarding EA's proprietary speakers, my guess is that the are simply purchasing eminence speakers made (somewhat) to their specs. I doubt they are manufacturing them!