Which Cab? Ashdown user has a few questions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fawkes007, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    My current set up is an Ashdown ABM 500 EVO and an Ashdown ABM 210-H cab. I have recently joined a working cover rock band that plays tunes by Van Halen, GnR, Rush, Kiss, Commodores, etc. The guitar players use Marshalls with 4x12's, so I need to be heard. The drummer hits harder than anything. We play loud. I play an '87 Music Man Stingray.

The obvious: I have headroom out the ears but the 2x10 isn't going to to cut it. So, my options are as follows:

1. Add a second Ashdown cabinet, but which one? Another 2x10 or a 1x15? Which would seem louder, and offer the clean, punchy tone I'm looking for better? Which would work better given the band setting (and yes we play LOUD).

2. Scrap the Ashdown 2x10 and go for 2 12's (Aggie or Bergie or Genz).

Other considerations: I live up 3 flights of stairs, have no roadies, and everything has to fit into my accord's trunk. 65 pounds is the max I want to lift.

I am losing my mind, so your input is appreciated.
  2. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    well, at least to me, punch is gotton out of smaller speakers. mainly 10's. but i have played many a ashdown 15 and that thing rocks bottom and punchs. so id say go with the 15. not only that, it might help fill out some low end sound in the band.
  3. I'm thinking about the loud band, the Marshall 4x12s, light weight and fit in the trunk of an Accord. Obviously an Aggie 4x12 won't do. It's as big as the Accord! But a Schroeder 1212 should fit those qualifications and is lighter, more compact and louder than the other 2x12s that you mentioned. I am a big fan of Ashdown products, but I think the Schroeder cab would come closer to fitting your needs, and it is less expensive. Check out the specs on the Schroeder website and check the Schroeder mega thread. Or send a PM to Burning Skies. He is in love with his Schroeder 1212 and his Mesa 400+l
  4. I have the Ashdown ABM 115 Compact cab. Also have the ABM 210 I actually prefer the 115 as it gives some great lows.
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I would get as many Bergantino 210s as you can afford and just use those. That or a good, compact Schroeder cab.
  6. zandar

Jul 8, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Try out a bergie HT-112 paired with a EX-112. You will have some *serious* punch for some very reasonably sized cabs. I originally meant to get this rig but have never needed to add the EX-112 (but my guitarist uses a 10-watt tube fender amp ;) )
  7. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Schroeder is probably your best choice, if a bit pricey. I really dig 15's but, they might not get the job done as well for cutting through the huge (bassy) stacks. I would go with 10's or maybe a 2x12 neo of some kind.

Mesa stuff would get the job done and also have the effect of getting you in really good shape and/or chiropractor visits. :eyebrow:
  8. you can get an Ashdown 410T for peanuts. I run 2 410Ts with my MK500 and in rips.
  9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I'd suggest option #1 by adding a second 2x10. The Ashdown 10' Blue Line speakers sound VERY deep. And with more wattage due to 4 ohm impedance instead of 8, this combination should be able to give you more headroom than you would imagine.