Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which cab/combo to choose to replace a 2x10 in a practice setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Sep 17, 2003.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Ok, I posted another message about biamping, possibly adding a 1x15 to my SWR WM 2x10. But I'm also considering getting a whole new setup. I've had this one for a while, and I'm looking for something different.

I play alot of styles..jazz, funk, rock (rush, police) I play fingerstyle, slapping, tapping.. Anyway, I don't play in a band situation. Just for myself right now and probably that way for a while. I'm looking for something that is punchy, round, full and has pretty good low end. Space and weight is an issue too. I'd like to get something as compact and as light as possible.

I was thinking more of a cab/head setup, but combo suggestions are welcome as well. As I said right now I have 2x10's. They are nice, but I would like a fuller sound. I was considering a 1x12. Would this be a good compromise between going with a 10" for tight/punchy and a 15" for low end? Or am I just going in the wrong direction with this? *lol* I know the 1x12 PROBABLY won't be as loud, but in a single practice situation, and with the fact that I don't plan on playing out, this isn't really that much of an issue.

I'm totally ignorant on this subject so whatever you guys can suggest would be great.

Thanks!