1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which cab for a D-180?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassteban, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Mesa/Boogie D-180(or other 100-200 watt all-tube amp)users, what's your cab of choice? I may have this head on the way in a few days, & wonder how it will work w/a Bag End S-15X-D(I now have one). The head might come w/a Road Ready 1x15 also; anybody A/Bed these two cabs w/an all tube head?
    BTW, I did a quick search, though I'm relatively dense. :rolleyes: A slap on the wrist & link to the appropriate thread would also be appreciated. :)

2. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    You want to buy my mesa diesel cabs. 2 15s or one 15 and a 210. Loved them with my D-180s.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd be on the warpath for a Berg NV610. :bassist:

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I've never tried the bag end.

A Road Ready 1x15 will probably sound great with it. The older RR cabs are the bomb. Mesa Diesel cabs are great too. Throw a 2x10 on top... doesnt get much better than that (especially for a more classic rock type of tone).

5. Thanks guys. Nate, I'd love your cabs(goes to check your ad...), the issues are budget(or lack thereof)& size/weight considerations. Again, I have a Bag End, but the 180 deal will likely include a RR. The problem there is that it will be in or near Chicago, whereas I'm in Cali(I'm going through a third party who has offered to consign the cab if shipping is too pricey). I know those cabs are heavy, but it/they would sure look sweet under the Mesa head. Decisions, decisions...

Edit: Oh & Tom, I would love to hear those tubes pushing the Bergie 6x10. I saw an old ad w/either a Buster or D-180 on top of a Mesa 6x10- awesomeness.

6. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Well, the nice thing about the RR cabs is they can be shipped quite easily (don't need a box or anything). You could probably get your 15 shipped for $50-60. It'd be worth it as the mesa tube heads really sound great through mesa cabs.

7. That's encouraging- the pics of the head & cab together look great. We'll see if it's doable(probably later today. I'll keep your cabs in mind, too.

8. So I have the 180(in RR case)and the RR 1x15- a nicely matching pair. I've also managed to hang on to the Eden WT-400 & Bag End S-15X-D. Looking at all this, I figured the 180/RR 1x15 would pretty much kill, w/the Eden rig as a reliable backup. Additionally, using both cabs w/either head should be plenty beefy outdoors. Well, yes- but a pair of 1x15s ends up being much more boom than punch, for me. Volume but not clarity. I'm wondering what might be the best way to add some mids & low mids. Sell one cab & add a 2x10?Dump both cabs for a Genz Benz Neo 212 or 210? I don't want to go too big(old guy, old back)& my budget is severely limited- I'd love to find someone locally w/some kind of mid-strong cab for a trade deal. Any bright ideas/sarcastic comments out there?

9. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Why not have him ship your D-180 first, try it with your Bag end, and then decide.

10. Oh, it's here- the deal was for both head & cab. I have gigged w/the D-180 & both cabs & found it difficult to get it loud enough w/o excessive boominess(the soundman, who typically likes it a tad bass-heavy, was asking me to turn down :( ). So I'm wanting a cab that works well for either head(I realize I may be asking for a serious compromise)but leaning more towards ideal for the tube amp. Thanks for the input, BTW.

11. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    A matching 2x10 would be great with that head. I'd imagine the rig being pretty cumbersome though.

12. Not sure about a 2x10, & I definitely don't want to get any more cumbersome than I am now w/the pair of 1x15s. I'm thinking I'll need to either replace one cab(w/something strong in the mids & not too big)& have a pair, or both if I can figure out a do-all single cab(again, maybe the GB Neo 212- I've played through one, liked it & it wouldn't kill my budget).