1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

which cab for me???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Basslord1124, May 22, 2002.

1. Basslord1124

Basslord1124

May 22, 2002
    Ohio
    Ok, since I'm new here I'll spare you guys from an introduction and all that (although some here may know me from other boards :D ) as I'll let my profile and webpage do that. But I've got a question in terms of what cabs would be best.

I found out that I'm going to get rid of my Carvin rig (R1000 and 4x10) just b/c I find that the sound is "ok" but still not what I'm after and also that I need a more "portable" setup. I guess Carvin cabs are naturally pretty big and bulky. Mainly something like a 2x10 and 15, 2x10 and 12's, or something like that. Well I've came to the conclusion I want to go with a poweramp/preamp thing as I feel it's something new I haven't tried and it seems to be more flexible. With that in mind, i'm going with a QSC poweramp and a Sansamp RBI. QSC poweramps are pretty cheap and have gotten good reviews from what I've heard and I've also heard all kinds of great things about the Sansamp. Now that you know that I'm in the decision of what cabs to go with this setup. Since portability is a concern I've looked at many different brands of cabs (Ampeg, SWR, Ashdown...) and came up with 3 that offer really good portability and they are: SWR, Aguilar, and Ashdown. Problem is I don't know which one to pick. I am familiar with SWR's sound (and like it to some extent) but know very little, if nothing, about Ashdown and Aguilar. As for my sound, I like the SWR tone but I want something warmer in which I'm sure the Sansamp can do that. But I'd say anything that's decently hi-fi but still has balls, guts, and punch would be fine. I play mainly rock but occasionally I may sit in with my dad's country band if he needs a bassist (yuck :( ) or play for this one punk band if they need a bassist...but other than just good rock, with maybe a hint of metal. But anyways, now that you know what I'm up against, which cab do you think would work best?

2. Basslord1124

Basslord1124

May 22, 2002
    Ohio
    bump

3. Lots of guys on here like the Aguilar 112s.They are very warm but clean sounding and really portable.A pair of these or a 212 Ag.might be just what you need.Do a search on them,there are lots of threads on them.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    There's a good-sized Bag End contingent here, too.

Welcome to TB!

5. Basslord1124

Basslord1124

May 22, 2002
    Ohio
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I feel kinda stupid for posting this then not really even noticing all the positive things the Aguilar's have been receiving around here. I was kind of in a hurry posting and didn't get a chance to look. I will say I've narrowed it down to SWR and Aguilar as I haven't heard anything about the Ashdown on the boards I've been to. Doesn't bother me as I find the frequency responses on the SWR and Aguilar much better than the Ashdown's. At this point it's still a tough decision as the combination of the SWR 12 Pack and SWR 2x10 sound nice as well as the SWR Son Of Bertha 1x15 and SWR 2x10. Then on top of that the Aguilar's seem pretty nice as well. If only my budget was endless I'd buy em both LOL :D

Thanks for the welcome Heavy, much appreciated. I can't say how often I'll post here as I frequent other bass message boards: Harmony Central Bass Forum (now that place is addicting :) ) as well as Activebass. And even other non-music related message boards. I guess I'm a message board b*tch or something. :D