Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which cab... for stingray

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zoran, Apr 2, 2003.

1. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I already have eden 212xlt as standalone cab, but I need more bottom. So my question is: what to add? 15" or maybe 18"? And which cabs to use, I need something tight and deeeeep. What about aguilar gs115? How it goes with stingray?

2. As the sun sets

As the sun sets Guest

Dec 10, 2002
    N. Easton, MA
    Well, it doesn't really matter which bass it's going with. Moreso the amp. What amp are you playing it through? I'm surprised the 212 isn't giving you enough low end. I know my GS412 can handle its own very well. If that doesn't do it for you, You could always go the route of the 15". Aguilar makes great cabs (I know), so I can only bet that the GS115 is a good cab. Again, what amp are you using?

3. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    It's hafler p3000, about 400W bridged. Eden 2x12" is great for mids and low mids, but for some serious bottom I need 15", maybe I will need more power, too.

4. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    a 15 or 18 may or may not help. try a couple out first. i run my mm5 through 6 10's and i have much bottom. when i run just through my 2x10, i find the bottom a bit lacking. but when i run through the 4x10, i find it to be plenty. ymmv...

jdkh

5. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Is that mean that adding another 2x12" will solve the problem?
    Please, avoid things like "try first" 'cause I don't have much possibilities to do that:(

6. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i would think that adding another cab would solve your problem. whether you add a 15", an 18", another 2x12", etc, is your choice. but i think pushing more air is what you're looking for. i was merely stating that if you get a 15", it might not be what you're "looking for". same goes for whatever cab you decide on.

jdkh

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    a firend of mine plays a stingray he runs his stuff through a hartke cab.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I play two stingray 5's, through Aguilar 4x10 and 1x15 cabs and they sound great. I don't always use the 1x15 - I only add it when I need extra lows at loud volumes on larger stages.

I wouldn't recommend using an 18" unless you need to throw bass long distances, like if you didn't run the bass through a PA and needed to fill the room yourself. 18's usually take more distance to "blossom" such that you won't hear much of it where you stand, but everyone farther back in the room will get slammed by it.