Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which cab for these kind of tones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nigel, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Nigel

Nigel

Sep 16, 2004
    Denmark
    I play a flatwound strung jazz-bass with dimarzio model j's through a GK 700RB-I and RBH 210 cab.

Which of the following cabs would you recommend to go with this setup (with or without the 210 cab) and why?

I'm looking for a rounder, fuller tone than the 210 cab has to offer.
    I guess the tones I like are solid, oldschool-ish, bottom to low-mid oriented, and really supportive but NOT muddy. I don't mind growl though ;) . I play primarily rock, but also a bit of blues and funk.

The cab have to sound good in a band setting with drums, 2 guitars (60-100 W tube) and some keys. Thats more important to me than how it sounds in my bedroom. I can't try them out with the band so I was hoping someone could help me out.

Cabs (brand) choices are:

GK 410SBX or 115SBX-II (not both)
    GK NEO212 or NEO115 possibly with NEO112
    GK RBH 115
    Ampeg svt-15e or 410he (not both)
    Aguilar GS112

These cabs are what I've narrowed it down to, considering price, weight and availability, so please give your comments regarding these.

2. Nigel

Nigel

Sep 16, 2004
    Denmark
    Bump

3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    You need the Eden 210XST.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Eden would work well. Check out Bergantino too. Based on your description and the cabs you are considering, I'd say check out the HT series. Are you using this with your old 210 on top? The cabs on your list that I like are the GK 212 Neo and the Aggie 112, but I am also liking Ampeg 15s as of late (still hate their 10 cabs though).

5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Love this cab. I use a 6X10 for big rooms, but I could easily get by with this guy if I wanted. Using this cab with my Thunderfunk = a fat, round tone without the mud.

If you plan on using your 2X10 with it, you might also just end up getting the matching GK cab.

6. Nigel

Nigel

Sep 16, 2004
    Denmark
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'll look into the eden cabs as they are within my price range. Sadly Bergantino is not available where I live. I've heard lots of good stuff about them though...

I would use my 210 rbh with the new cab sometimes, but it would often have to function as a standalone.

To Lync: How big a venue would you use a single ampeg 15e for, with no PA support?

Has anyone by chance tried the ampeg 15e with a 210 rbh on top? Would it be good soundwise? I've seen a picture of a stack like that once and they stack rather well physically.

If I decided to with a GK 15 cab. Which would be better for my situation: sbx, rbh or neo? Which would be the better standalone cab?

7. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Tough question on venue size (not sure how to relate). Out it this way, I used to use a Bassman 400 with my band and there were times that I couldn't quite hear myself well (without beating on the amp).

With the Thunderfunk and the Ampeg 1X15, I can hear myself no problem and have a nice tone at the same time. For most gigs I still bring the 6X10 since it just looks cooler on stage, but I could get by with the 1X15 (and it is only 8 ohms).

The 1X15/2X10 setup is very nice. I had an Eden 2X10XLT to go with the Ampeg, but (believe it or not), I just never found that the Eden was for me.