Which cab is best?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Killdar, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I've just recently decided to purchase a carvin R600 head from TB's own Planet Boulder. now i will need a goood cab to go with. Ive decided to go 1x15, and i need something that has all the low end one would expect from a 115, but that also has the punchy highs needed for slap etc. also need something very tough, with a carpet covering and metal grill preferably.

weight and size not too much of an issue, but looking to buy used, being on a budget and all. looking in the $250 or under range. maybe willing to go a bit higher i suppose if need be.

any suggestions to narrow the search?
  2. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    come on people, i need suggestions!

Avatar a good buy? or should i look elsewhere? its cheap, so id buy that new...if thats what i wanted....
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    An Avatar B115H would cost you just over $300 with shipping...perhaps less if Dave is selling any on eBay right now..

They're a great value and sound wonderful too. I haven't tried the B115H but use a B112/C15 stack and enjoy them greatly!

The B115H would give you low end meat and the onboard Fostex tweeter would give you crispness.

The Hartke 115VX has a tweeter too and it's about the same cost as the Avatar. Don't know anything about them though and saw another thread about Hartke where a 410VX owner said he should have bought the Avatar...
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Peavey 4x10TX

Cheap, used, EVERYWHERE and great tone. lasts forever.......
  5. i would go w/ a mesa boogie 115, or a peavey 115
    those both have great tight bottom end, and are really punchy on the highs
  6. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    You must be near portland. As of saturday afternoon, Portland Percussion had 2 4x10 Peavey cabs on consignment. I don't know the price - but I'm sure it's pretty cheap being that its used peavey, and on consignment.

I think if you are looking for low end, punchy highs, rugged, cloth, grill, etc - you'll be better off with 4x10's than a 115.

check them out, www.portlandpercussion.com

they also have new Genz Benz cabs which are not too pricey.

7. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Actually I live in portland....havent spent enough time actually in PP...but if I am Im usually playin the basses....next time i go in there ill check out the cabs.

Once I get the head i will probably take it around to various places and try it out on some cabs....if i can anyway.....Ill have to try a bunch out to see what works best.

Hey, erik, If you're ever in Buckdancers, I would be the one playing the pink '54 P reissue...or that trans black dean fretless 4...or...something to that effect.....mmmmm....playing metal on a fretless seems ok to me!
  8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Peavey BX115 BW.... You can get a mint used one for $200. This will give you exactly what you described. No $#!+