which cab is light, cheap, bassy and loud?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, May 14, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am doing some research as i may have to replace my wizzy 1-12 as its not loud enough while producing a decent low-end. The final verdict is still out on that though as it may be my amp eq config causing problems.

My situation is that i can only transport one cab, bass guitar and clarus amp as i dont drive. I manage to do this quite well with the wizzy but its a good possibility that i need a bigger cab.

I would like sufficient low-end with as much volume as possible. It should also be under 55lbs. I prefer 4 ohms as my clarus can put out 200w at 4ohms and 300w at 2ohms. so in the future, if i really had to i could rent or borrow another 4 ohm cab.

i am considering the Avatar B210 Neo. But will it be enough? Now i am paranoid as the wizzy probably isnt enough even though its rated very highly. The avatars are nicely priced and price is a consideration.

I will have to sell the wizzy or possibly trade it to be able to afford a new/used cab.

What are some other sub 55lb, loud, big-bottom cabs i should consider?
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Try out an Eden 210, they are loud as ****.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Schroeder 1210 or 1212.

The 1210 weighs in at 47 lbs, and is as loud as most 410s. Tons of bottom, cuts through the mix like a hot knife through soft butter, and has a nice musical sounding tweeter. Not harsh like most cabs out there.
  4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    are Neo equipped 2x12's under 55lbs? If so, your in like flint. DrBass or Avatar. Badda-bing-scwhing! (too much coffee)
  5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i emailed a canadian retailer about the schroeders. it would cost me close to a $1000 canadian shipped plus taxes. yikes. i believe they sound great. i would like to pay under $300usd. the avatars look very appealing but they wont ship to canada according to the website. bummer. they seem very well priced.

i think i may be looking in the used market.

DrBass? never heard of them.. any links?
  6. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Just another option:
    Get a nice cart to roll your rig on, if you don´t have one. This way you could get another wizzy or an avatar. I don´t think you will be happy with just a 2x10 or a 1x12. Maybe a 1x15 would do but you need to move air to get the sound you are after.
    BTW you could ask lowdownsound to build you a neo 2x12 or something like that. I hear that they make great good value custom cabs.
  7. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    doesnt a 2-10 move more air than 1-15?
  8. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Simplified the square area of these are:
    1x15 = 176,7 sq inches
    2x10 = 157 sq inches

A 1x15 will generally go deaper too and give amuch fuller low mid sound IMO. Im a big fifteen fan.
  9. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I have a Hartke 115BXL cab with a 2.5XL (2x10" with a 5" upper mid/HF driver). I usually biamp these. But for smaller gigs I have used the 2.5XL on its own. It's ported so has some decent bottom end (but not as deep as a 15, of course, I don't think 10s can do that). It's light enough to carry with one hand. Power is 200W at 8 ohms, but it is a LOUD cab. You should be able to pick one up for under $300 US. And they're pretty widely available, so you shoud be able to try one out before buying. Worth a go, I say.

EDIT Just checked the weight, 66lb. :( BUT it's still a very manageable cab - I think the dimensions of the cab and also the type and position of handles contribute to this a lot. "Carryability" is not just about weight, although obviously weight does make a heck of a difference!
  10. DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
  11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Basically, nothing will meet all your requirements. You can't have a cab that is simultaneously (1) small, (2) efficient, and (3) capable of a lot of low end extension. You get two out of three but not all three. You can get a good light cab that's pretty efficient (the suggestions above are good), but you'll have to give up some bass. However, you may still get enough bass to satisfy you, though it won't be Acme quality.
  12. Adjusted for accuracy, the part that moves the air is the Sd (piston) area of the cone.

Typical values are:
    1x15 = 132 square inches
    2x10 = 106 square inches

Total air volume displaced (loudness) is Sd * Xmax. The amount of power required to move the cone to Xmax varies with the efficiency of the driver.
  13. That's a little over simplified I think. It doesn't take the cone throw into consideration.
  14. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i posted wanted ads here in TB, bassgear.com and harmony central. i had a dude respond that he represents avatar in canada and a new neo 210 is 384 canadian. sounds good so far. these are 44lbs and supposedly sound great.

a bit OT, but i emailed Bob G. about the clarus & wizzy situation since he sells both and has extensive experience with them. He made a suggestion i hadnt thought of before. The input vol. on the clarus has always been maxed. i have always just left in maxed. So that may be a source of the distortion. ie too much input.

still hoping the wizzy works out, but the other cab ideas have got me salivating!