which cab setup do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jnightmare, Jun 3, 2004.

1. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    how many people prefer 2 4x10 cabs as opposed to 1 4x10 and a 1x15 cab setup, or how about a 4x10 and 2x12 setup? what is the advatage of each? which one do you like best and why?
  2. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Thus far I've only owned 3 cabs. I had a Hartke Transporter 410...nice but not exactly what I wanted after playing a Fender Bassman with Emenince speakers. So I offloaded that and got an Avatar 212 with, yes, Emenince speakers. Awesome sound...warm, low, yet tight and punchy but...I wanted more so I got an Avatar 410. Now there is midrange from here to China! Yet have that low end depth. I love the setup myself. I would like to find out what 2 212 cabs sound like though...but I would be afraid of losing the midrange. I'll like all of this more on Sundays practice with the new 2400 watt QSC power amp I got today. I've been powering the setup with a Hartke 4000, 4000 watts at 4 ohms...plenty loud for most situations unless your drummer is fully miked with a sub and PA monitors at 1000 watts! Just can't let them out do me I guess!
  3. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    hahaha no one wants to speak up?
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Well, it's one of those completely subjective questions. What someone else likes might not work for you. What's best for you depends on so many variables: the type of music you play, what your bandmates think (if relevant), what kind of other gear you have (bass, amp, etc), what kind of tone you're looking for, and how much you're willing to spend.

Note that some of us have a variety of tools on hand: different basses, different amps, different speaker cabinets. Selection depends on the style of music and/or the gig played: how much volume is necessary; are the acoustics boomy or dead. Many of us can't afford to have so much gear, but my point is that sometimes it's best to perform some gear auditions, make a choice, and be satisfied with what you have. IME, a 4x10/4x10 stack will sound better in some circumstances, and a 4x10/1x15 stack will sound better in others. Good luck to ya.
  5. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    I prefer one 2x10 and 1 1x15. why travels well IMO. Sounds as good as any other setup once again IMO.

6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  7. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
  8. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    what difference does having 2 4x10 cabs have over a 4x10/1x15 setup? whats the advantage and disadvantage of each setup? im so conflicted right now on what setup and brand to get. its all in the works in my head but just wanted some input before i make a final choice.
  9. modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    Well I went from 2 410s and switched to 1 410 and 1 15. I found that the 115 added a little more bottom to the sound. I also found that a 115 cabinet was much lighter than the 410. ;) So I basically traded some punch for some bottom. Both sounded really great, it was just at the time I wanted a little more low end. The downside of this is that if you're in a real boomy room you're going to rumble a lot more than 2 410s. Luckily, my power amp has two seperate volumes so I can "dial out" the 115 as needed to compensate for the room's acoustics.

You really can't go wrong either way. It's just a question of punch vs. bottom the way I see it.
  10. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    what about getting like a 4x10/2x12 setup?
  11. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I prefer to use 2x10's
  12. check out my new cab line, that might answer some questions

the site is still under construction, but you'll get the idea.

These cabs will be introduced at the summer namm

13. Chronosx65x

May 27, 2004
    i use a 4x10 (cast frame, 500 watts rms) sonic bottom with a behringer 300 watt head and it sounds great with my buddys 2 marshall full stacks.
  14. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I use a Mesa Diesel 1X15. Wouldn't mind having another one to stack though.
  15. GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    Ideal: 2 8x10 SVT cabs
    Semi Ideal: 4x10+1x15
    realistic: 2x10+1x15

10's are for punch on stage, 15 is for full bottom and audience (15's throw well)

BTW I echo "tkarter's" response.

No Tweeters!