1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which cab should I get Mark Bass or Warwick...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brucebruce, Apr 22, 2009.

1. brucebruce

brucebruce

May 26, 2008

2. 6x10. Wholeheartedly. I play a similar style of music as you do. Usin SWR gear, but similar configuration. I own a Goliath III 4x10, and also a III 6x10. I thought my 4x10 was great, and it is. But, got the 6x10 in a trade as an afterthought, but once got it home, realized that not only did it really improve my tone from my head, but the sound of it was a totally different beast when compared to the 4x10. Like a 15 cab in tone, like a 4x10 in presence. BOBW. It is harder to move, but even my band heard difference, and since both cabs you speakin of are 4ohms, the extra 20" of speaker will make a huge difference, and make the extra haulin very much worth it. Also? It's taller, more easily heard onstage, and Warwick cabs use very good drivers and horns in their cabs, they are German, after all. Heh. If it weren't the Warwick Pro series, instead bein their under priced Workingman's equivalent, I'd go for the Markbass. But the pro series cab will do you very well. IMHO.

3. ettsn

ettsn

Mar 29, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Or get a second Hartke 8 ohm 4x10? That would give you eight tens at 4 ohms. :)

4. Good suggestion. Even better, as that's modular. Two light trips to car or van better than one heavy. Of course this is bass gear we talkin, cabs specifically, so light is relative. heh.

5. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    This warrants some discussion. From my limited understanding of this, all other things being equal, doubling the the wattage used will not be as effective as doubling the speaker area.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Of the 2, I'd get the 610, but if your amp runs full @ 2 ohms, I'd prefer 2 4 ohm 4x10's.

7. I'm not a big fan of runnin any amp at two ohms in a heavy rock, high volume situation. It's fine for lower volume gigs when you have monitors and PA help, but man, is heat the enemy of electronics. And any amp run at 2ohms, mine included, which are SWR SM-900 and Mesa M-pulse 600, both 2ohm rated amps, get mighty hot even at low volumes. If your amp says it's full rated power comes from a 4ohm load, but will give more power at a 2ohm load, my gut usually tells me to stay at 4ohms. Now, the GB heads have a 2 ohm switch, which is definitely a positive in this respect, and may be quite safe. But IMHO, 4ohms is as low as I'd run. If need more power, or wanna run 2ohm loads, get a preamp and a Crown or QSC power amp. Also, yes, speaker surface means more to overall volume than doubling power through ohm loads, i.e. an 8ohm 4x10 vs. a 4ohm 4x10. But if you runnin one 8ohm cab, and add another, you get advantage of adding speaker surface area AND safe ohm load power increase.