1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which cab should I pair with my Mesa m9?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by silen7ce, Mar 31, 2013.

1. silen7ce

silen7ce

Dec 11, 2006
    So I recently purchased a mesa carbine m9. I currently own an ampeg 810 but want to downsize. I play alt rock / pop punk for the most part. I like a tight growly sound. I am considering either a powerhouse 410 or 212, an Aguilar gs410 or 212, or an Aguilar db410 or 212.... What do you guys think???

2. All of them will work great.

Try anyway you can to play through all of them with the same bass, same head, same eq settings and same string type preferably in a band setting.

The Aggie DB is different from the first two in that it is a sealed cabinet. For better or worse, it will make a substantial difference.

3. Personally I would pair that amp with a Greenboy Dually. Will be way lighter than your 810, smaller, and more efficient.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Maybe a Bergantino 4 ohm CN212 (~$1,200), or a fEARful 15/6/1 (kit ~$640) with a fEARful sub15 (kit ~460) added later?

What is your budget? Feeling like DIY?

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    A pair of Mesa Powerhouse 2x12 cabs @ 8 ohms each. Or a Mesa Powerhouse 4x12 @ 4 ohms. :bassist:

MM

6. Check out the Boogie 212 or 412 cabs. I gig with a 412 and run a 610 PH as my practice cab and both are GREAT sounding cabs that can take tons of power and are built solid. I prefer my 12" loaded cabs as I find they have a more aggressive voicing, and this 412 is the cab for me, but the aguilar and berg cabs are killer too.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    A pair of the Powerhouse 2x12's would kill with that amp.; Going from an 810 to anything less, you'll want 2 medium sized cabs. One will disapoint in the volume dept.

8. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I had a Powerhouse 4x10 for a while that I ran solo with a Hartke head @ 200watts and it was loud enough to play with 2 guitarists and a drummer. If you coupled it with an M9 I'm sure it would be a beautiful and LOUD thing. My vote goes to the 410

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I ran a Powerhouse 410 with my M9 and it sounded great. The PH410 is way too heavy for me to drag around though.

I liked the M9 better with Bergantino cabs. Specifically AE210's (I have 2 of them).