Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which cab to buy??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afroman, Dec 23, 2000.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have a little problem. I have decided that I'm
    going to buy a Hartke 3500 head, but I don't know what cab to match it with.

I really want a Hartke 410BXL, but they dont sell them here in Puerto Rico (so I can't try the cab) therefore I would have to order it from the U.S. and pay hefty shipping charges.

The other options are: a Peavey 410 and a 115, Gallien-Krueger 410 and a 115, or an Ampeg 410HLF.

The price of the Ampeg here on P.R. is $660, and for that I could get two Peavey or two Gallien-K cabs. Or if the Hartke 410BXL is vey very good, I would buy it from the internet for $468 + shipping which will be about $100 more.

Please help me in this confusing dilema.
    Thanks in advance...

P.S. Almost every bassist that I see on TV and on concerts that I like use Hartke, and the cabs look so, dare I say, PRETTY.

2. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Ive heard mixed views on Peavy gear.From the VERY limited exp ive had with them id pass.I dont recall ever hearing good things about GK cabs though the heads get praise all the time.Ive only tried the 2x10 and was not impressed.Ampeg?Hell,how can you go wrong!Good luck!

3. jumbomatumbo

jumbomatumbo

Dec 13, 2000
    on the contrary, i happen to like peavey a lot. it may not have the best sounding equipment, but if you can compromise it seems to be the longest lasting, most durable, and cheapest amp for your so precious buck.

4. The Keeper

The Keeper

Sep 2, 2000
    There's nothing wrong with peavey at all. With the experience I've had with them, they put out some awesome equipment for the price. That's definitely the best value you can get. And if you can get it that much cheaper than the Ampeg 4 x 10, then go for the peavey. A 4x10" and a 1X15" will really help out with the deaper notes. Ampeg's sound great too, but I wouldn't really say that they sound that much better (if any better) than most peavey's I've heard.
    Stay away from GK if those are you're choices. I've heard a lot of bad stuff from them.
    Enjoy and good luck with whatever you decide! Try to find someplace to try them out before you buy them if you can.