Which Cab to Get First?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LizardKing45, May 10, 2001.

1. I am soon going to be buying my first speaker cabinet, and i was wondering what the general consenus was about what kind of speaker cab i should get first. I am really conidering either a 2x10 or a 1x15 for my first cab. The brands i am looking at ar Genz Benz, Ampeg, Hartke, Carvin, and Peavey, and maybe even Bag End if i can stretch the dollars. My main dillema is the wide range of music i am going to be playing. I want to be able to play everything from funk and slap and pop riffs, which i know a 2x10 would be best for, all the way to reggae, which i know the 15" would be much better suited.. Now i plan on eventually getting both 2x10 and 1x15 cabinets for a good round sound, but for now i can only have one. Any and all opinions are appreciated.
  2. Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    what kinda head do you have? and how much ya gonna spend?
  3. oops.. i neglected to mention that i dont even have a head yet, but after the post about which to buy first, i have decided that it is important to buy a good cab first, in order to make sure that you will sound decent, regardless of the head.. I mean, even if you have an alguilar head, you will sound bad playing through rogue cabinets, you know? I am looking to spend as little as possible, and i am considering going used, as i would like to spend less than $300. The Genz Benz 1x15 is $250 new, so that was a good possibility, but there is no tweeter. Sorry bout that.. keep the responses coming :D
  4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    The only 1x15's I've seen with tweeter's are SWR bertha's and bag end's.

I think for under or on $300 the only thing you'll find is a Peavey 115BXBW. (possibly)

That is out of the stuff that's actually worth using.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd go with a 210 first, but get a good one. I found a used Eden D-210XLT for $230 locally. I already had one, but i couldn't let it pass. I ended up buying it for Jerry J, who now has it (he paid for it, not me). A good 210 can give you all the bottom you need. Carvin would be a good choice.

BTW, Eden makes a 115 with a horn as well as a 215 with horn.
  6. Wow, $230 for an eden 2x10XLT is a great price! The only problem i see with the carvin 2x10 is that it is 4ohms, and most of the heads i am looking at have a minium impedance of 4 ohms, so that would have expandability issues. So far, the most likely candidate for a (new) cabinet is the Genz Benz 115B, it has a tweeter, and is $299 brand new at http://www.parkwaymusic.com . Of course i have not ruled out used cabinets, except i am a bit weary of used cabinets because i dont know how hard they have been pushed...
  7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Actually, I think for that price range and 1x15's the Peavey's gonna be the best you'll fine. It may exceed your price range a little bit, but they're good. They get a good amount of highs too. Since I got my 115BXBW I had to cut the tweeter all the way off in my 410TXF.
  8. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    i'd go with the genz benz 2x10t. it's a quality box. i'd recommend going with the 2x10 before the 1x15 for the articulation and clarity. i like lotsa 10's, personally. actually, i like lots of 8's too (i own a henry 8x8), but that's just me.