Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which cab to get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jmkross77, May 7, 2004.

1. jmkross77

jmkross77

May 6, 2004
    New York City
    I have $400 to spend, and assuming I don't go used, I am looking for a good, useful cab to match my Hartke 3500 head. I was going to get a hartke 410tp, but it seems like its worth spending the extra 100 on a 410xl. any other recommendations? should I possibly consider a cab with a tweeter as well

2. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
  3. jmkross77

jmkross77

May 6, 2004
    New York City
    is there any particular model?

4. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Okay, fair enough, I waited long enough for someone else to suggest it...yeah an Avatar! And what model? Well, depends on what you wanna do with it. Please explain...

And just to give another side to the story (as they say), the Avatars are good price to quality value. But by no means would I claim they are the best in the world hands down considering an unlimited budget. But since you mentioned $400, the Avatars are WAY within your budget. And depending on what you get, you may be in for a couple of extra pieces of gear afterward!

And of course, then there is the topic of "I can't hear them first so I can't get myself to buy them". Very understandable. I wouldn't do that with an amphead or other certain items as well, so I wouldn't blame anybody for thinking that of the Avatars.

So for brands available at your local retail store, I've played a GK 8 ohm 4x10 and it was fairly decent. Not sure if that fits under $400 but I bet it comes close. I'd still take the Avatars hands down over them but it's an option. I also played a 4x10 Hartke and didn't like the aluminum cone sound too much. The Ampeg SVT-410 I played as well (all of the versions) and even the most inexpensive one sounded pretty good. Nice all around sound and more lows than my Avatar B410. I'm sure it's over $400 though (new).

Just my opinions. Rock on. :bassist:

-T

5. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    Well as Transverz said, it depends on what you want to do. Do you want portability, or a single large cab? The B410 and the B212 are highly regarded around here as being great stand-alone cabs. The general consensus is that the 410 seems to lack in the ultra low end department, so many have chosen the 212 as the alternative. I have two older Avatar cabs. The compact 1x12 and 1x15. I love 'em, light, small, portable, and loud. I (almost) like them better than my Eden 410XLT, which isn't real easy to take to jam with friends (98 lbs.), but my Eden will probably always be my gig cabinet.

Do a search on Avatar on this forum, you'll have days upon days of reading material that will give you a ton of insight into these cabinets.

6. I believe Avatar is a great choice in that price range. I have two of their cabs (B115 and B212) and I am a very satisfied customer. They don't make different lines of cabs, just all good stuff. Their cab model choices are based on speaker configurations, not quality. To recommend a particular model would be tough because I don't know what sound you like, but I can say I like my 2x12, 1x15 setup because I like accentuated low mids. This setup has that in spades. Go ahead and check out their site!

7. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    And of course, then there is the topic of "I can't hear them first so I can't get myself to buy them". Very understandable. I wouldn't do that with an amphead or other certain items as well, so I wouldn't blame anybody for thinking that of the Avatars.

You can order and get an Avatar...don't like it...tell Dave and send it back within 14 days!!!

I had a Transporter 410...tinny/bright sounding...sounded like I was playing in a big tin can...got a 212 and a 410 Avatar...much warmer, deeper, fuller..etc etc...but tight and punchy. I'm runing it with an Hartke 4000, 400 watts at 4 ohms

8. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    True that Rumizini... Avatar does indeed have a 14 day return policy. Of course you spend a little bit of cash for the shipping but at least you don't get stuck with something you don't want, hundreds of dollars in the hole.

-T

9. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I have the Avatar 410....but the 212 wasn't available back when I bought mine. I would say depending on your desires of punch/mids/low that between those two cabs there is probably a solid cab for under $400. Just depends on what you're looking for. good luck! :)

10. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    You could get an Ampeg portabass 210H for that kind of cash. I think they are discontinuing the line of cabs, and you should be able to get them very cheaply. I got mine for $265, which really works out to be dealer. If you walk in with $300, you should be able to get it with a little work.
    Wes

11. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I've been considering the B115 or the 212. I want a classic mid/lows sound without being too low and lacking in the other ranges. Always thought a single 15" to be kind of the "classic one cab set up" but with all the talk about the 212 I'm wondering if that wouldn't be a better unit to buy since I'll just be running one cab ?? Which of the two would you buy when running it alone?? Will I be sacrificing alot of lows with 212 instead of 115 ??

12. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    well I can't speak for the Avatar 115...I have the 212 and the 410..the 410 can;t get as low as my 212...but both are very tight and punchy...the 212 just fatter, warmer, deeper....I did hear a 15 mesa cab powered by a Mesa Mpulse 600...my 212 seems to be just as deep..maybe not quite...if that helps any....my combo just sounds awesome...I don't ever plan on getting anything different since I'm not rich...and this is doing the job for me and then some...I'm only running 400 watts to them to...they both have a 1000 watt rating!!!

13. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've got a Hartke 4.5XL I'm quite smitten with; I've got a Acme Low B2 that is my #1, but I wouldn't use it with anything less than 500wts. I've also got a Basson 1x15 that sounds really good, just needs room to generate thump.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    For $400 new, I'd invest my money in a custom cab from Low Down Sound. Don should have many options in that price range, though my favorite so far has been his 3x8 (long throw woofers) with tweeter.