Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which cab to match my Goliath III?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrooveMonkey, Sep 8, 2003.

1. SWR Son Of Bertha 1X15

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. SWR Goliath Jr. 2X10

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Eden 1X15 (the one without the tweeter)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Avatar 1X15

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Avatar 2X12

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Other (please explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I'm considering adding another cab to my rig. Played an outdoor show yesterday and felt I could have used more oompf on stage.

My current rig is powered by a QSC RMX 850 running bridged into 8ohms for 600w into the goliath.

With the RMX 850 I'd get 830w split between two 8ohm cabs approx. 50/50 right?

Would it make more sense to go with more power, possibly the RMX 1450?

I have roughly $550 USD as a return credit @ Musicians Friend that I'd like to use unless I go with Avatar.

2. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I got an Eden D210T to go with my Goliath II. Both cabs are 8 ohms...the older Goliath Jrs are 4 ohms, so you'd need to find a new one.

I think the SOB would add more bottom, but you'd do okay with either SWR cab.

Note that the Avatars are a different size than the SWR cabs and might stack awkwardly.

3. I have (on order) a sob and goliath jr. I prefer to have a stack at ear level so I thought about adding an avatar 2x10. tornadobass is correct, the avatar probably won't stack right. Once I get my rig, if need to add on, I'll go with another swr goliath jr. You might want to stick with the same brand so the cabinets will be of same volume...maybe a goliath jr. or s.o.b.

As far as more power, to gain more stage volume and oomph, I don't think more wattage will help much. Adding another cab will result in more air, and definetly more oomph.

4. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I voted for the SOB. I had a setup like this and the SOB added a lot more low end to the mix.

5. If the SOB is rated for 350w, and the Goliath III is rated for 700w and I power them with an RMX 1450 that'll put out 1400w @ 4 Ohms, will I be over powering the SOB?

As I understand it 2 cabs will split (albiet unevenly) the power of the amp.

6. mooseman

mooseman

Jul 24, 2002
    Chesterfield, VA
    I'd try the Avatar 2x12.

I added an Ernie Ball MM 2x12 to my Goliath III and it adds the perfect amount of roundness and bottom. I am using an RMX 1850HD bridged into those two without any fear of overpowering cabs. This rig sounds enormous. Before, I had an Eden XLT 210 with the Goliath and it wasn't cutting it. The 12's are a perfect compliment to the Goliath. I wouldn't worry about overpowering those cabs. YMMV, goodluck.

7. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I voted SOB, but I'm biased.

I am assuming that these will be run in parallel, for a total load of 4 ohms. Power is applied to both speakers and divided between them. I think the Goliath is rated at 450. With the SOB at 350, once the amp pushes out 700 you are at the limit of it. Lots of headroom is what you want, but you would need to be careful. I have this speaker setup with a 750x and its plenty loud in just about every situation. Smaller venues I use the 4x10 by itself. Together, both cabs have a smooth tone with lots of extra HR. Kind of a lot to lug around, but it sounds good and that's what I want.

Good luck!

8. I don't like running dissimilar cabs on the same amp channel.

Just bite the bullet and get an RMX2450 or something lighter if your budget will allow it - and run the cabs on different channels. Sometimes you can find good deals on eBay or at http://www.qscredtag.com. I've seen quite a few RMX2450s on eBay with a $450 BIN.

The Goliath III is more efficient than the SOB is. If the cabs are different I prefer a volume control for each cab.

9. I agree with Allan but I run the Goll. III and SOB off one channel of my power amp at times and it sounds good to me. The SOB, or any 15 will add 'meat' to your sound for big shows. JMO.