1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which cab to pair with SWR 350x

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kfilament, Apr 30, 2009.

1. kfilament

kfilament

Apr 23, 2009
    hey guys, i am sort of new here, have read this board off and on for a year or so now. Just bought a 350x to upgrade from my backline 600 and 410 cab.

Just wondering if you guys had any suggestions as far as cabs to pair with the 350x. I am planning on getting a neo of whatever i get, to hell with those old heavy cabs!!!

2. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    I have 2 EA Wizzy cabs 1x12 and they sound great with my amp the SWR350X..

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Anything I've used my pre-Fender Silverface 350 for has worked well, as long as the 350 was "enough."

This includes an Epifani 8 ohm 2x10 NYC, a 1991 (Eden 4x10 8 ohm ) goliath II, an 8 ohm goliath III, Jr., and an SWR sob 1x15. I have also combined basically any 2 of those cabs with it, and it worked very well.

Advice: Run the pre-amp gain high, don't use the "Enhance" (aka Suck knob), cut the treble a hair, keep the bass flat, and boost the lower mids.

Since I don't have the "X" feature, you are on your own, there. Guess mine are all heavy...

4. kfilament

kfilament

Apr 23, 2009
    thanks for the responses guys.

5. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Goliath II 410 cab. About the best bass sound I ever hear in a rock band was this rig with a Fender P-bass. Killed.

6. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    LDS 115/6. I know I say that to everything but it's pretty much the best you can do tech-wise these days :)

7. kfilament

kfilament

Apr 23, 2009
    hey guys, new question, I thought I would add it here instead of creating a whole new thread.

I ended up getting and Avatar 410 cab to pair with the 350x. i love the sound, but we have been getting larger gigs and quite often I am having the power clip light come on at the volumes I need. Majority of the time we have a PA with subs, so out front their is plenty of bass, but onstage i cant hear crapt of what I am playing save for what I feel coming out of the mains.

i love the actual sound I am getting, so part of me thinks, then just buy a SWR 750x. The avatar 410 is rated @ 1000watts so I dont think it would be overpowering it or anything.

However, I have seen/heard multiple accts of people being dissapointed with the output of the 'X' series, like here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-167145.html

I am a relative newb when it comes to assembling the rigs and just wanted to get some, as always, good feedback from you guys on here who have a ton more experience than I do.

thanks in advance

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    These do run out of gas, but there are some steps you can take.

1) Be sure your EQ is not working against you.
    No enhance, bass flat, no sub-effect, boost mids, limiter on.

2) Got 4 ohms? If your 4x10 is 8 ohms, add another cab.

3) Get your 4x10 up off the floor. A really strong gear box, a dedicated amp stand, an old unused cab, a DIY stand, whatever, will help.

4) EBS compressor.

Then save for a (used) dedicated power amp/pre, mesa carbine 6, or a little mark F1. Keep the 350 as a spare. :D

9. MicceO

MicceO

Aug 12, 2004
    hi, a new question if you allow.

I have swr 350x amp and swr cabinet 2 x 10. Now I'm planning to buy a new 1 x 15 cabinet that I would use with my 2 x10. So, a couple of questions:

- The impedance of my current cabinet is 4 ohms. If I happen to by a 8 ohm cabinet, would there be a remarkable difference in volume between those cabinets. I've understood that a cabinet with lower ohms gets more watts. (According to the manual, the total impedance 2,6 ohms should not be a problem to the amp)
    - The reason I'm planning to buy a new cabinet is that I think something is missing in the low end. Would I get something significant?
    - Any recomennendations on the cabinet; "wet" sound, Ampeg perhaps?

Thanks!