Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Cab to Purchase?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheLarch, Feb 14, 2003.

1. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

OK - so I'm looking to upgrade/supplement my present cabinet situation.

Here are my pertinent details:

1) I play a G&L ASAT and Epiphone Jack Casady.

2) I use an Ampeg SVT-3Pro (tube gain at least 75% up usually) - a highly-inflated 450 RMS @4ohms, 275@8ohms.

3) I currently use an older Avatar 210 (8 ohm) - nice and punchy but not enough bottom-end oomph.

4) I'm playing roots-rock/alt-country/rockabilly.

5) I live in NYC and do the vast majority of my shows in NYC. I don't have a car and rely on the subway, or taxi when I'm feeling sassy.

6) I'm looking to add more bottom.

7) I live in a one-bedroom apartment, that while very spacious by NYC standards, doesn't lend itself well to giant cabinets eating up the real estate. Nor would that endear me to my wife.

8) Price IS an object and I'd prefer to keep the $$ close to $250-$300, so I know that I'm realistically looking at a used cab. However, I'd spend extra for the right cab.

In a perfect world, I'd snag one of the MusicMan 212's to benefit the Casey Lee Ball Foundation. However, I need transportability and even the MusicMan Audiophile 210's seem like they are rather large and heavy. Let me know if I am wrong on that front.

One of the several options I've considered is a better-quality 210 like an 8ohm Eden which is known for bottom-end or adding a stand-alone 112 with a tweeter which I can bi-amp or use alone for smaller shows.

While I like to think I'm a pretty good player as I've been playing for 20+ years, the nature of my music doesn't require the sublety of the super Hi-Fi stuff like Bergantino, EA or EBS.

What would you folks recommend??

2. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

Genz Benz 210 with the big bottom ports.I bet it would be perfect.

3. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i 2nd the vote for genz benz. you want the XB2 series, or the older XB series. these are the "extended bass" series, with big front ports. build like a tank, decently cheap used, VERY efficient. i use a GB 610

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    How do you schlep all of that gear to a gig if you don't have a car?

Didn't Jaco use to drag his Acoustic 360 around NYC? Oh yeah, the wife factor...

5. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Aguilar GS112 all the bottom you could want, Portable, fairly light, and it can easily be found used for under $300.

6. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

Yep - the transportation factor in NYC definitely sucks. Prior to living here, I had an Ampeg 810 which I reduced down to a Ampeg 410 and SWR Bassic 15 after my bandmates whined about helping to lug it around. After I sold my car after never driving it in my first year of living here, I cut down to the 210.

My wife is actually a big help after shows. I think she likes to put on my gig bag while I carry the cabinet and head so that she can look like the rocker with me as her roadie.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I would recommend adding either an Avatar B115 or B112 or get a 2nd hand Agie GS112.

8. I think you'll be happy with the Avatar B115. I have the same B210 Avatar cab that you do -- the older rear-ported type -- and it's a great match for the B210. It fills what the B210 lacks.

Same footprint, too, if you store the B210 horizontally now. Just a taller stack.

9. PS -- get a GOOD folding hand truck plus web straps to do the subway thing. I lived in NYC most of my life. And I schlepped an Acoustic combo amp all over Manhattan that way. Yes, it sucked.