Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Cab under 900dollars ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kelu, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    Hi all.
    I got an Ashdown EVOII 500 (575W) and I need to buy a new cab.
    I play mostly blues, reggae and 70ties rock.
    I need a cab I can use alone with the amp, and I want to be sure that I won't break the speakers..
    I thought a Acme lowB-4 could be fine, but I need ideas..

2. For the styles of music and the amp you're playing, I think the Acme would be overkill. It will easily chew up all the watts the Ashdown can put out due to speaker inefficiency. Also, you're in France...so I don't know how available Acme's where you are.

For blues, reggae, and rock, I'd suggest either the ubiquitous Ampeg 8x10, or the Mesa/Boogie 2x15, or perhaps a Berg NV215 or NV610. All are capable of solid, punchy lows, but with that midrange grunt that the music you're playing calls for. The Bergs are both less than 100 lbs. and are highly portable. Much more so than an Acme which has no wheels.

3. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    $920 will get you a brand new Schroeder 410 shipped. You will never need another cabinet again.

[​IMG]

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Wow, you have scads of options! The Low B-4 is a good bet, in my opinion, as would be two Low B-2's. Is ACME the tone that you are going for? If not, what do you like to hear from your bass rig?

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Ok... so... your saying that the SOLUTION to overkill is purchasing an Ampeg 810? :eyebrow: ..... interesting logic.

I'd go with either the B-4 or possibly a Schroeder. A Schroeder small box will cost about $700, but it would perform just as well, if not beyond, the Low B-4. The 1210 is the most well-rounded cab of the bunch. However, if your really looking to have one cab to rule them all, maybe you should invest in one of the large box cabs.

I'd do my shopping between Schroeder, Acme, and possibly Bergantino.

6. I was considering his wattage, his music style, and the fact that I had the same Acme GAS a while ago.

He hasn't said anything about what 'size' of cabinet he wants, just something that "I can use alone with the amp, and I want to be sure that I won't break the speakers."

Ask Andy at Acme, and he'll tell you that 575 watts isn't enough for a B-4. He recommends a minimum of 700, but most users use over 1,000.

7. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    Then , maybe one B-2 could be fine ???
    If B-4 need 1000w...

8. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I doubt a single Acme B2 will fill your needs. I'd look at some of the 2x12 or 4x10 cainets by some of the better names (Eden, Bergantino, Epifani), as well as some that have already been suggested.

9. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    The 1012 seems intresting, wont I destroy it with my amp???

10. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I am currently using an Ashdown ABM-500 EVO II with one Acme Low B4 Cabinet (4 ohm version). My experience has been that the two work quite well together.

I am sure it has been stated here before, but just in case . . . the beauty, as well as the weakness, with Acme cabinets is that they reproduce what you put into them. If your amp provides clean power at a fairly high volume, which the Ashdown ABM-500 does, then you will be fine. I have owned some amps that have much higher power ratings (Mackie 1400i, Ampeg SVT-4PRO) than my Ashdown and Demeter (VTHF-300M), but did not sound nearly as good with the B4.

In addition, I can get sounds with the Ashdown/Acme that I am very happy with for any style of music (the eq section of the Ashdown provides a lot of flexibility while the Acme reflects each tweak with remarkable accuracy and predictability).

hope this helps

11. FYI - Most cabinets can 'take' nearly twice as much power as they're rated for. Having more power means you can turn your amp down, and have the ability to go louder when you need to. Also, most cabinet power ratings are RMS, but their Peak power is higher than that.

12. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Another vote for the NV610 (if you can get it). Amazing cabinet, and totally in line with the music you play. I've never played mine with an Ashdown head but I imagine it'd be a great pairing.

13. Brian Middleton

Brian Middleton

Feb 4, 2005
    Boston
    If you mean the Schroeder 1210, it's rated to handle 850 watts RMS, so probably the only way you could destroy it with a 575-watt amp is to slam the amp into it repeatedly, and this would probably destroy the amp first. :D

14. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Schroeder 1210 or 1212. Former handles 850 RMS and the latter 1000 RMS, both @ 4 ohms. Or splurge and get the 21012 or 410.

I've been buyin' and tradin' and sellin' gear for almost as long as I've been playing, and the first time I plugged this cab in I knew I'd never sell it, and I'd never need to look for something else (besides more Schroeders!) in a cab. Honest-to-God truth.

Haven't compared it to the likes of Acme, Bergantino or Epifani, but from others who have switched to Schroeders from those rigs go, well, there's been a damn lot of 'em. ;)

15. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I'm surprised you didn't recommend the two whizzy setup Tom. I think you're slipping. :D

16. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    OMG
    I just learned that it would cost me 335dollars to make the 1012 come in france via UPS :bawl:
    Do you think its still a good deal for me??

17. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Unfortunately No :meh:

Look into Acme, Bergantino, and Eden, if you can.

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My gawd, you're right! You could get two of those for under $900! ;)

In truth, the two Wizzy setup certain is one of my favorite "bang for the buck" setups - if it provides the tone you are after. If you like the sizzly, sparkly highs, then the Wizzy is not for you.

But in that price range, new, ACME is hard to beat (the Wizzy's are equally affordable, if the no tweeter thing is okay). You can get an NV series cab for close to that amount, and they would be killer with a tube amp. Also, for $900, you can have Don from Low Down Sound or Marc from Dr. Bass really build you something nice, too.

As I said, scads of options! If you look used, then the sky is the limit (though I'd start with two VL-210's :D).

Tom.