Which cab would be louder? Peavey VS Dr.Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yossarian, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    I have a Peavey 410TVX now, and I'm hoping to replace it with a Dr. Bass Rx212, but I'm trying to make sure the 212 alone will be loud enough. I know there are too many factors to count, but I'm just going for an estimate, I guess. I'm using a Peavey Max 700, so here are the stats with each:

Peavey 410TVX: 4 ohms, so it's getting 475 watts. 97db 1W1M (so I'm told). Four 10" speakers.

Dr. Bass Rx212: 8 ohms, so it'd be getting 275 watts. 102db 1W1M. Two 12" speakers.

I'm told sensitivity makes LOTS of difference, and I'm under the impression that, when it comes down to it, the 200 watt difference isn't really going to make a huge impact in volume, but I don't know how much difference the speakers themselves (410 vs 212) will make. Any opinions on whether the 212 will be comparable, or superior, in volume?
  2. Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    My understanding is that efficiency is the most important factor. The watt rating for a speaker is how much power it can handle before the voice coil melts. Speakers don't produce watts, they eat them.

Doing some rough calculations, it looks like the Dr.Bass 212 will put out about 127 db with 275 watts, and the Peavey will put out about 123 db with 475 watts. You have to double the input power to get a 3 db increase in output.

This is either oversimplified or just plain wrong. I await confirmation from more tech savvy TBer's than me. :D
  3. I would be suspicious of the drBass's 102db rating.... i dont think that measurement is taken over a wide freq.range. The peaveys' rating i believe to be more accurate, or if you will usable/practical.
  4. Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
  5. Because i know of no eminence 12 wich is 99db efficient measured over a wide range... maybe the neo 12, but that one is not in the Rx212. And i am sure Dr Bass uses eminence.
    The Dr Bass 212 might be 102 db efficient at say 1000 hertz but not when avaraged over a wide range. Or maybe dr Bass measures quarterspace instead of halfspace.