Which cabinet do you use with your Thunderfunk head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Erik Turkman, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Erik Turkman

Erik Turkman Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2004
    Washington, DC area
    Back when they first came out, it was common for folks to pair a Thunderfunk head with an AccuGroove cabinet. AccuGroove is now defunct, so I'm wondering what cabinets people are using with their TF heads. Is there a current preferred pairing between TF heads and an in-production cabinet? I'm looking for a new cabinet to go with a TFB550, but there are so many options available these days that it can be overwhelming. Thanks for any insight you can offer.

2. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    I use my 800B-2 with two Bergantino AE 212's or an AE 410. Always sounds great to me!

3. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I use My Thunderfunk 550 with a Berg HS410 most of the time, it sounds good in either the tube or the SS switch setting ... I prefer the tube setting

4. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    Two Aguilar GS112s.

5. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I enjoyed playing my TF-425 and 550 (usually flat, no EQ tweaks) for 5+ years through Tri-112L and 115L's and dug the sounds every time I plugged in. The cab that finally 'upstaged' my trusty Accugrooves is Mr. Baer's ML-112. To my ears, it plays quite nicely with Dave's funky amps . :bassist:

6. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I'm very happy with a TFB-420 into a fearful 12/6. I use mine in a multitude of settings ranging from straight up blues to modern country with both four and five string instruments and could not be happier with the pairing.

7. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    I really, really like my Thunderfunk 420 into my Aguilar 4x10. Absolutely destroys!

8. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Thunderfunk 550 here. Pre 550B but has had the requisite upgrades since then. Used to use mine with EA cabs, nl-210 and cxl-112. These days I am using it with an old series 1 Epifani ul410.

Honestly, this head sounds good with damned near any cab.

9. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    This.

10. Erik Turkman

Jan 18, 2004
    Washington, DC area
    Wow, it's great to see such diversity, and everyone seems so happy with their sound. I'm going to have to make a list and try to find some of these cabs to try out.

11. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    I think that it's a great testament to how awesome a product Dave produces! It sounds awesome through everything!

12. Erik Turkman

Jan 18, 2004
    Washington, DC area
    So, in looking over the responses so far, there are a lot of high end, fairly boutique cabinets--Bergantino, fearful, Baer, and such--ones that you can't just run out to the local music shop to try out. Is anyone using anything more widely available with their TF heads, like Genz Benz, Gallien Krueger, Hartke, etc? If not using them, did you try them and choose something else? The big challenge I am finding is the ability to try any of the so-far mentioned cabs without having to buy them first.

13. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    One of the pratice rooms at Music Garage in Chicago has. 550 going into two Acme B4s. (sounds like an awesome rig on paper, right?)
    I never liked it. It sounded fine solo, but as soon as the rest of the band started swinging, it was lost in the mix. I totally had to turn it up way to loud just to hear a defined note.
    But, who knows? Someone else with a different bass might draw an entirely different conclusion.
    I certainly dont want to knock ACME Cabs, they are obviously constructed to a very high standard of quality and the other people seem to like the 550, it just wasnt for me.

14. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I've used mine through GK and Hartke cabs that were supplied backline. Things worked out just fine those dates. When I first bought the Thunderfunk, I was using a pair of Epifani T-112 cabinets - which also worked very well.

I was a pretty early constructor of a fearful, and did so as a leap of faith. If you are interested, there's lots of 'em out in the wild now. Check the fearful site - there's a map there with many of the users documented. Many of them are willing to arrange a try out.

The other possibility is to put together a talkbass get together in your area. All kinds of great learning happens at those!

Jim

15. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Acme's are designed to go low. Very low. The low end on the thunderfunks are tighter by design. It would make sense to me that using a head with a tighter more controlled low end would not let those acme's do their uber low end thing as well. Also, Acme's want a LOT of watts. To run a couple acme cabs like that, I'd probably be aiming for triple the wattage of a TFB550 personally. Then again, what the hell do I know.

16. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    ^ This!

I was going to post, every cab I have used with my TF has sounded good. I remember using it several times with a Peavey 4x12. It sounded like a different cab. That was going from a Firebass to a TFB750A.

I also played it for a while through a Berg. Wonderful!

It is a killer head.

17. denglert

denglert

Jun 2, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    TF 550B with 2-Epifani UL-112's. Sounds incredible for any genre/style and with all of my basses, electric and upright.

18. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I bought my 550B without hearing it first because all the advice was like this.

It's true, so I used the 550B with GS112 cabs, an Epifani UL410 and Berg AE cabs.

Now I'm using a 750A with multiple AE112 and AE210 cabs.

I'd say you can buy with confidence.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021