1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which cabinet for a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lloydage, Oct 27, 2013.

1. lloydage

lloydage

Nov 23, 2012
    I am thinking of buying a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 and already have 2 x TC Electronic RS210 cabinets. Each one rated at 8 ohms.

I was hoping to plug my new head into these but just read that the Shuttle 9.2 is rated at 500w at 8ohms and one RS210 at 8 ohms can only handle 400w. This means I could never just put it through one cabinet.

Any expert opinions on this? What cabinets do you use?

2. brownie_bass

brownie_bass [this space for sale, cheap]

Oct 3, 2013
    New York, NY
    The truth is more complicated, as always in life. Your 9.2 plus the two 210s sound like a good combination to me, assuming you like the sound and aren't planning on running at the limit of either the amp or cabs for extended periods.

Here is a great reference on these and other amp/cab issues - highly recommend reading it:

http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/mythbusters1.htm

See myth #10 for the relevant discussion on amp and cab wattage ratings.

Oh, and I have a GB 9.2 powering a single Markbass NY 121, a 400W/8 ohm cab. No amps or cabs have exploded yet. :)

3. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus

Sep 28, 2010
    My church gig, I pair with the Uber 410. Very clear and punchy.

Smaller gigs the new shuttle 2 series 12s (single or stacked) are very good.

I could see the Bergantinos AE line sounding really great

4. You can run the SM 9.2 into just one of your TC cabs, just under thermal rating by 100 w should be no problem. But if you know it will be loud, better to take both TC cabs, if you really push just one cab you could damage it.

It will probably fail through excursion limiting before thermal limiting, in a real-world playing situation, so keep alert for signs of cabinet over-excursion stress: farting out, excessive unpleasant distortion, or other bad grinding, scraping, or clicking sounds. Those mean time to turn down, and bring the 2nd cab to that gig next time.

But for new cabs, both suggestions above are very solid, plus Bergantino, or fEARful. I use a 15/6 fEARful, but used to use, with great success, the GB UB 212T cabinet, brother to the 410 listed above. Pairs very well with the SM 9.2, even though it is thermally rated 300 watts below the 9.2's 4 ohm output. It gets pretty darned loud without any cabinet stress at all, but if you're playing metal or prog or other gain-intensive music I would think about a Bergie 610.

5. lloydage

lloydage

Nov 23, 2012
    Thanks. I play high octane rhythm n blues . Think Dr Feelgood, Pirates, Strypes.

Don't want a 4x10 so want to go with either 2 x210 or 2x212 for transportation purposes

6. .
    I built a fEARful 212 a year or two ago and have never looked back.
    (900 watt, 4 ohm.)
    It handles one output from my Shuttlemax 12.0 no problem and really pumps out some volume!

Ok, so you are reluctant to go 4 x 10. The Uber 410 is pretty small by 4 x 10" standards. Genz Benz really packed the drivers in close to one another. Might be worth considering.