Which cabinet is better?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StarchMan, Jul 26, 2004.

1. StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    SWR Goliath III
    700 watts
    105 dB @40Hz

Eden 410XLT
    700 watts
    106dB @31Hz

I'm looking at using an SWR 750x head with and I kind of feel the Eden would make up for the low end that SWR sometimes lacks? Or? I need clarity, low end and volume. I'd be using a Warwick Streamer so.
  2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Two very different cabs. The Eden is much stronger in the low-end, but isn't nearly as hi-fi sounding. The SWR gives you a very bright sound, but without the low-end thump. There are innumerable threads here at TB with very good descriptions of both of these cabs... I would recommend doing a search. But as a rather vague rule of thumb, the Eden's got the low end and the SWR has the brightness.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The one that YOU like the best.

I've never played through an Eden cabinet that I've liked...but that's my opinion for me. I know that lots of bassists love them and that's great. You really have to find the cabinet that sounds the best to your ears... Don't go by the brand, just listen and see if it sounds the way you want it to sound...if not, try to figure out what's not right and move on. There are lots and lots of great cabinets available.

Good luck!!!
  4. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Ive had a swr 750 and 750x, I felt that they had more low end than the sm amps. jmo, but I have never liked eden cabs but do like their heads, and Ive never really liked swr heads but I like their cabs a lot. Try to give them a listen and see what works for you.
  5. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Yes, just opinion, but I would not spend that kind of cash prior to setting your head atop an SVT410hlf, 610hlf or the almighty 810. Then decide..............

6. I second those sentiments.
  7. I've owned a Goliath III and trust me, if you want more low end, go with the Eden. But if you want clarity, I'd go with the SWR. Two totally different cab.
  8. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Well, after what I just went through with the XLT 410 from Hell, get the SWR. My SM-500 simply sounds best with my Goliath Senior.
  9. The Eden will color your tone(low mids) more than the Goliath. I have a Goliath II and a III, and I have no problem getting low end out of those cabs. SWR will give you more of a "hi-fi" or scooped tone.

You need to try out an Eden before you buy it. It's one of those things that you'll either love it or hate it. And bring your bass with you!

I can't speak for the new Eden XST line. They're supposed to be more neutral than regular Eden cabs, but I've never heard one up close. Definitely worth consideration.
  10. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Perhaps you should listen to other bands too, what sounds best on stage. I've been at the North Sea Jazz festival now for three years. The first two years I went there they used SWR stuff and I haven't been really enthousiastic about the bassound on stage, while when I played it in a shop it sounded really ok. And I heard quite some different people using them!

This year they changed it from SWR to Eden and what really surprised me was the bassound. It was so much more 'real bass' then only the lowfrequent notes I heard the years before. I owned a 2.10" of Eden (the MBX 210 to be precise) and I swapped it with a 4.10" Bag End, which was a great deal.

SWR always sounds a bit too Hi-Fi for me. Eden has got feeling in its sound, like Aguilar. And that is a detail which cannot be expressed in dollars (ok..euro for me ;))

SWR is a bit 'too studio-like' to me... like EBS too for example.

I hope this helps a bit.
  11. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Not that Eden sounds the Same like Aguilar... but they both have character I meant in my previous post... don't get confused. :)
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree with this for the most part. Eden for lows, SWR for clarity.

I disagree with people who imply that SWR cabs do not color your sound. Eden cabs color your sound, and so do SWR cabs. Just in a different way.
  13. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Something to consider - having owned an Eden 410xlt, think about the venues you play. I found that to really get the 410xlt "singing" was to get the speakers moving some air which of course required the appropriate volume. Well you can imagine the glare I got from some soundmen. At some clubs I was ordered to turn down to the point where I couldn't really hear myself or my drummer couldn't hear me. After a while I realized that these cabinets were probably meant to be played loud. Anyone with similar experiences or agree with this? So for the medium to large venues, the 410 xlt excells and won't let you down. Just maybe consider something more focused for the small to medium gigs.
  14. Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    Z-Bass, I agree. I have been playing small gigs for the last 10 years, mostly coffee houses. I use my 4x10 for outside stuff only now. A long time ago I used to drag out 2 4x10's and a top rack, it's fun to stand in front of all this stuff. But, any sound man worth his salt will make you turn it down until you have to lean on it to hear it. So, a few years ago I discovered the ampeg BA115. I also use a bass DI with my BA115 so I send the sound man a signal that's not changed by my adjustments of my stage sound. Being as quiet on stage as possible is a key to hiring and keeping a good sound man. IMHO.
  15. StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    I bought the XLT. Sometimes matching with the head really makes a difference.