Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which cabinet would you choose for my situation?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ccyork, Mar 20, 2006.

1. SWR Goliath Junior III

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Ashdown ABM 210T

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Aguliar GS210

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. Trace Elliot 1028H

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Gallien-Krueger 210SBX-II

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Ampeg SVT210HE

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. Other

19 vote(s)
    59.4%
  1. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    OK, here the situation. I'm tired of lugging lots of gear around. I'm going to try going to a 2x10 cabinet ONLY. I'll be driving it with my Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II. My band is not terribly loud (clasic rock and oldies). I want a punchy bass sound that will throb. Which cabinet would you choose, and WHY?

Note: The SWR is avaialble in 4ohm or 8ohm configurations.

:confused:

EDIT: I play a 4-string Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass. Also want something that will fit easily in my 4-door sedan or trunk.

2. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    Hi

If you vote for "Other", could you please specify your recommendation? Thanks! :)

3. janek65

janek65

Apr 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    Soz, i voted 'other' because i would definitely check out the Eden 210XST. I've never tried it though so i can't recommend it :)

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I voted other. My top three choices for a single 2x10 would be (in alphabetical order):

Bergantino HT210 (not the S, though the HT210S is also nice)
    EA NL-210 (4 ohm, if possible)
    Glockenklang Duo

Tom.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I voted other, because I think the Genz Benz 212 Neo or Avatar B212 Neo would be perfect for you. The both weigh within a 50lb-60lb range, and unlike a lot of 2x10s, they won't fart out on you in the low frequency range at gig volume.

I used to own the SWR Goliath Junior II, and if you have a 5 string or any bass for that matter with a Low B on it, you will not be happy with the Jr.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Berg HT210

7. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    +1. i really like eden stuff.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Schroeder 1210 Light. Small, light, rated for mega-watts, efficient, fat, clear, punchy.

9. Other.

In a couple of months I let you know how my hommade OMNI 10 (fitzmaurice designed) sounds.

10. CLJMB

CLJMB Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2005
    North Alabama
    Schroeder 1210

11. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Hate to add to the people not voting for one of your options, but its VERY hard to beat Schroeder or Bergantino.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Ampeg 4x8. Cool stuff, smaller, plus plenty of cone area.

13. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Accugroove Tri210L - A very thick, full, "throbbing" cab. Perfect for classic rock and oldies (if you roll off the high end via your amp, or else you'll get more clarity than was ever recorded pre-1990).

14. I agree. I can't see any other cabinet that's small as a 210 that can really 'stand alone'. Although I haven't played one yet, but the reviews are oh so good.

15. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I wanted to pick one of those listed, and of them, the best one I've played was the Trace. That cab sounded much bigger than it was.

However, I would also look at the Berg, from what I've heard.

16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I also voted other. I just don't associate classic rock and 2x10. For classic rock I would get 2 x 12". I personnaly use 2 1x12" but if you don't mind the weight, one 2x12" cab would probably be cheaper.

17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I voted other as well... you seem to have skipped all my fave cabs... :)

I second the EA NL-210, but I'll also add the Avatar NEO 4ohm 210 is KILLER... especially for the price!

Other than that, I'd go Schroeder 21012 Lite (which I may as well! :) ), 1212 Lite, or 1210 Lite, Accugroove Tri-112L, and I also like the GK NEO 212.

All lightweight and kickbutt. :)

18. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I gig an EA nl-210 on a regular basis. Unlike any other 210 I've used, it will hold it's own even handling FOH at small to medium gigs. For a stand alone, the nl-210 is the only 210 I've used that I'd feel comfy relying upon.

Eve thought they are not really 210's, those Schroeder's are probably good suggestions. They are reputed to be light, loud, and voiced to cut through dense mixes. I still haven't heard one of those cabs yet. Just not many of them floating around in Oklahoma.

19. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    I'm starting to get the feeling that most folks don't think a 2x10 can cut it alone...surely someone's gigging with just a 2x10. :confused:

20. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    With PA support I've gigged with an Eden D-210XLT standalone many times. It works pretty well. I don't doubt that the Aguilars, Bergantinos, EAs, and Accugrooves would work as well or better.

That said, IME a 2x10 will never really "throb". When I gig with just a 2x10 I try to put it near ear level and dial in a punchy sound to cut through ... letting the PA get the throb going.

Maybe if you went with an ACME you could get some throb going.