Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by danimal1973, Nov 10, 2002.

1. danimal1973

danimal1973

Sep 3, 2002
    Tennessee
    I recently purchased a SWR Workingman 10 Combo Bass Amp... and am very happy with it... but now that I'm playing a little with a band and considering small gigs (you know weddings, parties, etc)... I'm wondering which cabinet to add on to this to extend my sound.

I know that SWR makes a perfect match cabinet for this combo amp... 1 x 10

Any thoughts on picking up the matching cabinet, or another?

what should I be looking for?? (basic newbie question)...

Thanks
    Dan

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Personally, given your stated purpose I think your money would be best spent on a larger, more powerful combo than just adding a cab to that amp.

3. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    If you're really into just getting an extension cab, I do know that adding the 1x10 makes the sound of that particular amp 110% better. But as Eric said - your money is probably better spend getting a workingman 15.

4. danimal1973

danimal1973

Sep 3, 2002
    Tennessee
    If I am reading your replies right, you are suggesting... that I should buy another combo (bigger)...

Do you think there's any good cabinet I can run off this SWR Workingman 10 that I already own to get more power? Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Dan

5. You have two options, the result will be about the same.

-You can get the extension cab. If you load an amp with more speakers, it will probably produce more power. Add to that a deeper sound because of the doubled cone area. These two things will make the rig sound considerably louder.

-You can get a more powerful 1x12 or 1x15 combo with about three times as much power. Same thing, really.

6. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    But they WILL sound very different. And IMHO the 2x10 rig would be a lot more flexible (and you already have the 110)

7. danimal1973

danimal1973

Sep 3, 2002
    Tennessee
    OK... I think I've committed to purchasing a bigger rig....

Looking for suggestions...

I would like something very REASONABLY priced (i.e. cheap as I can get it)... that is capable of playing at small parties, weddings, maybe small bar even...

Any suggestions... for amp/combo/stack etc???

I have the SWR Workingman 10 combo (as previously mentioned) at present... playing mostly rock/country/blues at the moment...

Using a Essex P-bass (which I am very pleased with sound and appearance of)... (got the suggestion to purchase from this site)....

Thanks again
    Dan

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Acoustic Image Clarus (get it used!)
    Aguilar GS112 or Berg 112 cabinet.

you'll be set for life. lightweight, loud enough, GREAT clear transparent sound. for those kind of gigs, I really can't imagine anything better.

9. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    I agree with van...

try some 1x12's, I know the Aguilar GS112 is 8 ohms, and I would suspect that most 1x12's are 8 ohms. So you could use them right now as an speaker extension and then later, as funds become available, look into buying another head. You'd have a very versatile setup. And later on down the road, just throw another 1x12 underneath that and you'll be able to tackle most gigs(with a very transport friendly rig, too!).'

good luck!
    lp

:)