Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which cable to use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crazyphil, Sep 16, 2002.

1. If I am going from my bass to my amp, I obviously use an instrument cable (shielded). From the amp to my cab, I use a speaker cable (unshielded). If I want to use the pre-amp line out of my head into a mixing board, I assume I use an unshielded speaker cable. Correct?

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    You don't want to use an unshielded speaker cable, you need to use a shielded instrument cable from your preamp line out to the mixing board.

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    no i would use a shielded (instrument) cable for that... speaker cables are for going between speakers and amps. altough i think it would do less damage to do it the way you said than to use a shielded cable as a speaker cable.

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    hey! there weren't any replies to this when i started my post... you stealing my thunder?
    J/K ;)

5. Any time you're working with line level signals you want to use shielded cables.

6. Ok so basically the same type of cable that goes from my bass to the amp goes from the amp to the mixing board.. Thanks for the replies.