Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which cabs for bass AND PA???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slombovia, Oct 4, 2004.

1. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    I need a pair of portable cabs that need to sound good for bass for when I am a sideman but that I can also use for my own stereo PA when I do solo gigs with my keyboard and sequences.

So the bottom line is that they need to be accurate and sound good with music pumped thru them. Granted even some PA cabs don't sound good with music pumped thru them - nonetheless, this is what I need.

I have heard ACME cabs are good as PA cabs. Any other suggestions of bass cabs good for PA? Or any portable PA cabs good for bass?

My Elrick fretted 6 and NYBW fretless 6 have great voices so I am not afraid of accurate cabs. I know my Avatars won't cut it as PA cabs.

I love the sound of a pair of Bergantino HT112 cabs for bass. Has anyone run music thru them?

Many thanks in advance for your help,
    Tom H.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    If you can find them a pair of Bag End TA-12's (now redesigned as the TA-2000) sound great for both.

3. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    ...any other suggestions?

4. I bet a couple Whappo Jr.'s would work really well. I don't know this for a fact, just seems like they would.

5. Accugroove also has the Tri 112L which is smaller.

6. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I think the Tri-110s would be a possibility for me.

7. Acme's are outstanding for PA support. You can even get their Low B-1 or B-2 with speaker stand 'cups' mounted to the bottom of the box. I've played many styles of music, done band PA and dj-ing through my B-4's. It's how music is supposed to be heard.

8. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I just ordered a Meyer Sound rig that would be an awesome choice!!

9. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I didn't know they had any portable offerings.

10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The only issue I see that would make a bass cab less effective than a PA cab is the tweeter. The tweeter on a bass cab doesn't have the throw that a horn tweeter for a PA cab will. For a smaller, intimate gig it wouldn't make much difference. But for larger rooms and audiences, you'll need more throw to get clarity.

11. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    ...there is also the issue of accuracy in frequency response. Sure, a Foster horn will sound nasty for my sequence playback but I need more than just a smooth tweeter. There should be fewer bumps and dips in the freqency response of a PA cab - if it's any good - compared to a bass cab.

12. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    How about the Meyer UPA-1P powered cabs,or the CQ-1 powered cabs! Just add a small non-powered mixer,like a Mackie,and you are all set! It would not be cheap,but it would be awesome!!

13. Kindness

Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I wanted to weigh in with my experience using ACME B2's as a PA. They sound great and a pair can fill a room with plenty of volume, but they have the problem jive1 discusses with room coverage for larger gigs. They are pretty directional. That said, for smaller gigs, they've been perfect for me. Just make sure the sound you feed them is what you want to get out of them. In other words, when using them as bass cabs, love your preamp.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME ACME

did i make myself clear enough? :smug:

seriously, i love using my B-1 Acmes as a PA for DJ'ing and the like. and it makes for the most ass kickin' little rig ever. EVER. i havent really had a problem with throw at all. but what i like most is the simply massively punchie low end. heck, who needs a sub, when your speakers are it!? :bassist:

but i'm dying to try my B-4 as a crossover'ed sub. :eek:

15. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    Yes, I was considering a pair of B1 cabs with maybe a QSC PLX 2402/3002 with the high pass filters engaged to relieve the single 10 cabs of the subsonics.

16. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    my PA in small gigs only and stage monitors for bass with DI to large mains.

17. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    Thanks. :bassist:

18. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I play V-guitar and guitar synth in one of my bands, besides doubling on EUB and fretless. I also use processed vocals, which are only processed on stage. The EA CXL 112 is working well for me. I have only tried it for PA per se at home, but I'm planning on using it for my jazz band, which puts keys, 2 vocals,flute, and electric violin through the PA, at some point. I have another, home built coax 12 cab with a Selenium driver. It's less efficient, but sounds quite good also. I'd put both these speakers on top of a pair of EV 15 loaded cabs, powered with a Crown K2 or QSC 2402, for bigger gigs.

I haven't tried my PA tops, with EV 10s and JBL 1" horn drivers, for a bass rig yet, but they work really well for bass in FOH applications.

19. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    Another question: What about the Epifani T110 and T112 cabs? I realize they would be less accurate than the ACME cabs for my sequences but they would also be louder as bass cabs and I've heard their upper mids are smooth - maybe smooth enough for my music.

Thanks again,
    Tom H.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    P-dubya,

try an Acme with the V-guitar. its quite mindblowing with my Line6 POD. :cool: