Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Cabs to pair up to a Bassman 300 Pro??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Danm, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Hiya,

Am going to be buying a 300 Pro in the next few weeks & was wanting opinions on which cabs to get as well.

Was thinking about just getting the matching sloped front 4-10 at this stage or possibly the 2-10 as well ( would probably sit this underneath the 4-10 when using both ) so that I can just take the 2-10 and head to smaller gigs. I can get Max power out of it at either 4-8 or 2 ohms so having an extra cab doesn't seem to make much difference as far as I can figure but I'm new to Tube Bass amps ( Have had plenty of Tube Gui**r amps tho )

Or does anyone else have any opinions they would like to share???

Remember, I'm in Australia so a lot of the cabs you fellas in the US of A think are commonplace are both almost impossible to get or prohibitively expensive ( the head, 2-10 & 4-10 run to $6500 Oz dollars.. ) But then again, I don't mind spending the bux if it's going to be the only cab I'll ever need etc.

BTW Generally play Classic Rock type stuff with an Ash/Maple SR4.. Am looking for the ultimate wall crumbling, chest bashing, in your face Bass sound.

Thanks for helping..

Dan

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

2. andy_p6

andy_p6

Apr 5, 2004
    London, UK
    I was going through the exact same problem about a month ago with my Sunn 300T (same as bassman 300)... trying to find a cab in Oz, and one that I could try before I bought. Unfortunately few stores carried much stock of decent cabs so it was fairly futile. I ended up going with an Eden 410XLT and I think I may have made the wrong decision. The growly mids are just not my thing, but luckily the tone shaping/eq options on the head have sorted things out a little, but I assumed that with my stingray5 I would have a killer sounding rig that I am yet to to be entirely happy with. I have used a mates ampeg svtHLF 410 many times and I find it to be a much warmer sound. The four brands I was considering were

Eden
    Ampeg
    Epifani (the bassplayer in sydney sells these)
    Mesa

and unfortunately i could only try the eden

My only concern with the matching fender cabinets is they seem to be lacking in the power department (ie 300watts for a 4x10), and that was my main reasoning for going with the more powerful eden. Also, you might find with the sloped 4x10 that the head may not fit on top of it... most cabs I have used I have to turn on their sides.

My advice is to try as many as you can because I think I underestimated the tonal differences in many of the high end cabs. I know it is hard to try a lot of different cabs here in Oz, but you will be happier with your final decision.
    BTW, my sunn 300T is a killer head so you will be happy with that. :)

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My first response considering the amp and type of music you play would be the Bergantino 610. Not sure if Bergs are available over there yet though.

If these are your options:

Eden
    Ampeg
    Epifani
    Mesa

than I'd say go with the Ampeg cabs. Try to get the classic series. The 610 is a great cab or you could do the 210/410 combo for portability. The Mesa cabs will give you more growl and the epifani cabs with be darker and cleaner. I wouldn't suggest the combo of the tube amp with Eden cabs, as confirmed by andy_p6.

Hope this helps a bit. Cheers.

4. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    How do you think an SWR Goliath Snr ( 6x10 ) would go???

It's supposed to be 1000w RMS but from what I'm hearing the 300Pro has some serious output!!!

And there's one here in Canberra on sale ( it's only $2800 ) No that's not a typo... That's how much they cost here!!!

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That's on sale huh? :eyebrow:

I'd wait for another sale. I don't think that you'd dig the SWR with that amp. The SWR is all lows and highs. It's just not a balanced cab at all. It's pretty brittle sounding as well.

6. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Maybe it's just better to go with the 4x10 Slope fronted Fender Box... ( I can pick it up for around $1300-$1500 Oz Pesos )...

It should be fine to Handle the heads output... I like the sloped cab idea too... Kinda like a gui*&^% cab... I like to be able to hear myself..

7. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Of course I will also be trying a sh$#load of other cabs as well...I only wanna make this purchase once ( famous last words eh??? )

I was going to have to pick out an entire rig ( head & cabs ) as I will be trading my current amp ( Aussie made 400w 2x12 combo... About 110lbs too ) but I think I'll be better off paying cash for the head ( my heart is set on the 300 Pro ) and then trade my amp towards cabs after I've had a chance to try some ).. Meh, I could always put the 300 Pro on top of my combo & run it through the 2x12's that I've got.

Decisions decisions.....

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My suggestion is to get the head and if you don't find a speaker cab that you absolutely love right away than just run your head through your combo until you find the right cab.

9. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Sounds like the go!!!!!!