1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which camp should I go to?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Visirale, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I want to go to at least one camp this summer to improve my skills a bit. I've been playing for a good 3 years on bass, and 8 on other instruments. This is my last year before college... I want to do something with music in college, but it will be secondary to my main major (something english or writing related)... so yeah, I'd want to minor or double-major in it. Anwyway, that's all beside the point. This is my first year of jazz, and I love it. I don't know if I should seek more jazz-specific experience or bass-specific stuff.

Here are the options I have so far. If you could reccomend some others, that would be great. I'd prefer east-coast, and less than a grand.

University of North Florida Jazz Program (5 days) This seems to be a pretty new program, but I'd get a lot of playing time. 3 ensembles, and combos.

Berklee Basslines camp (3 days) It almost seems like a waste to go to Boston for 3 days, but hey, why not learn from the best?

Frost School of Music at University of Miami summer camp. (2 weeks). This seems pretty traditional. I'd play in a jazz band for 2 weeks and have a concert at the end.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

-Ted

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    This one time, in a band camp.

3. Go for Berklee. I've heard some great things about it, plus you get to go to Boston. I mean, it's Boston!! They have clam chowder!! That should be enough of a reason right there!!

Rock on
    Eric

4. I say go to boston, my friend did the berklee camp for guitar, and he said he improved about 2 years, in 1 week. It's some of the most intensive training you can do, and you get good tips on how to keep improving

5. mmg

mmg

Nov 7, 2005
    Boston, MA
    hmm, never thought about a bass camp. i live in boston so the berklee one sounds good.

i have a question for y'all though, I'm only a half year experienced though people say I've improved a lot more than most, should i try this or will it be too intense? I can't read music but i know as much music theory as one can without reading, thats scales, modes, notes, triads, chords, and all that jazz.

6. My advice would be to try the Berklee 5 week program. It's really great and it's given me a great environment to improve my skills and witness the outstanding musicianship of musicans from around the world. The jamsessions are definitely the best.

7. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Berklee used to have a 5-week program. They probably still do. I'd check it out. I went one summer and had a blast.

8. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    www.MaineJazzCamp.com

it's a treasure. you won't be sorry. message me for more info if you like. you will be among the greatest up and coming NY jazz musicians of today. they are selected as counselors not only because they are monster players, but because they're guys you can always ask for help with a tune, they'll hang out, they'll sneak away and give you a lesson in their spare time, they'll tell yo about their gigs and how they got started, how they practice....etc. it's a very, very well run camp.